What to use to remove a pilot bushing, Bread! - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage
What to use to remove a pilot bushing, Bread!

I wanted to share an easy, cheap and clean method to remove a pilot bushing. Im working on another project, this time our 67 Corvette and was trying to remove the pilot bushing to be replaced with one for use with a Tremec 5 speed transmission. Body is off the car and in process of placing all the components back on the newly painted frame so plenty of room to work but I could not get that old pilot bushing out. We tried grease and two different bushing removers including one from Snap-on but no luck. Once you started to pull it out the fingers would eventually cave into the center and that bushing stayed where its been for 50 plus years. My friend Craig from RaceKrafters (they re-built the 427 for us along with two other motors we have) was coming over to install the harmonic balancer and only said we will get it. He brought over his puller and same thing, fingers collapsed to I.D. of bushing when trying to pull out. He then asked, you have any bread? Any what we asked with a laugh and he again stated bread. Craig takes a piece of cheap white bread and tears pieces to stuff in the I.D. of the bushing. Then takes the junk input shaft to tap the bread in and repeats two more times. Basically the same process with using grease I had tried days before. At that point when striking the input shaft into the bushings I.D. the bushing started to come out. A little more bread and a couple more hits and bingo, the bushing is removed. And what was sweet after the bushing was removed just use a ice pick or object to pluck out the piece of bread. No mess! Agree, maybe I was not using enough grease but this was clean and easy with again, no mess! Thanks Craig!

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: What to use to remove a pilot bushing, Bread!

Don't use that trick on newer LS or related type or style engines because they don't have a solid crankshaft. They have a freeze plug at the back end of the crank hole and you will be in deep doo-doo unless you use an actual bearing puller.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 08:32 PM
Team Member
Darin

I’m pretty sure I’ve used the wonder bread trick on a buddy’s car, pumpernickel might work well too. what do you prefer? Lol
Grandpa told me that trick decades ago. It works in a pinch.

The tool has worked for me both times I’ve needed it on my cars.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
Travis

Worked for me as well when grease wasn't cutting it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 05:10 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Worked for me too. Better than using grease. Grease on your hands can get all over anything including the flywheel and clutch later causing the dreaded clutch chatter.
I found out the hard way.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 05:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I've used bread once on a badly worn bushing but I didn't have much luck due to the bread working its way out the gap between the input shaft tool used to compress the bread and the bushing, so I resorted to a using a sharp chisel to cut a groove along the inside to extract it.
But, I've used bread many times when soldering pipes/fittings on existing plumbing that may have residual water in them, even after draining the line.
Anyone who has done this knows the water can have an impact on getting the joint hot enough for solder to flow properly.
Pack the pipes with bread on both sides past the area you plan on soldering and presto....no water effecting the heating of the joint.
When the water supply is turned on, the bread eventually dissolves.

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 01:59 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Try using a tap to remove pilot bushings. A 5/8 NC usually works to easily remove them. Using a hammer is a crude way to remove press fit parts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech

Bread & grease are old school ways which have worked

I have always used this blind hole puller I get from Autozone on their Loan a Tool deal (Harbor Freight sells it) and it was plug & play. Pick the right size tip and let the slide hammer to the work

It looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2712.../dp/B0006307U4
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Be a man and use grease. For one thing, it's faster.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode