Valve covers for adjusting while the car is running. - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Valve covers for adjusting while the car is running.

So I put a set of heads on my 302 today. Took the edelbrock heads off and went back with the originals. So I cN adjust a new lifter with no problems, but one that has already been pumped up always gives me issues.

So I'm sure we have all seen old valve covers with the center cut out for this exact thing. They help controls the oil sling a little, but it still makes a mess.

I took an old head i had laying around and put some poly locks on the studs. Then bolted the cover to the head. The bolts would not go all the way because of the tall poly locks. I then tapped on the valve cover where the locks were making a slight circle on the inside. Then I drilled the center of the circle to just big enough to fit a 5/8 deep socket.

The pkan is to put duct tape over the holes till the engine warms up. Then remove the tape one at a time and adjust that valve. Replace the tape and then move to the next. I see no reason why this won't controls some of the mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0408191907_1554768094189.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	226265   Click image for larger version

Name:	0408191837_1554768112120.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	226267   Click image for larger version

Name:	0408191837a_1554768125511.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	226269  

HawkX66, 69-Pace and Shannon4570 like this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage
Re: Valve covers for adjusting while the car is running.

So, how do you tighten the allen screw to lock them down?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Like Scott said you will need something like this to adjust the valves:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...MaArYJEALw_wcB

They come in many sizes to fit your PolyLock hex head and Allen head screw. I have three to fit SBF (may be Chrysler but some had an odd ball size that required a trip to the parts store), SBC, and BBC polylocks.

Big Dave

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

why go to all the trouble when you can get these

Rocker Arm Oil Plug Set

PERFORMANCE TOOL | Zoro #: G6252587 | Mfr #: W80565
you can also get a set of metal clips that fit over the pushrod

Mr. Gasket 1015 - Mr. Gasket Rocker Arm Oil Deflector Clips

View All Media

https://static.summitracing.com/glob....jpg?rep=False

Mr. Gasket Performance Products

Prestolite Performance

Mr Gasket NMCA Race Trailer - PowerTV

In progress

Processing
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I guess I forgot to mention that the valves I'm adjusting are standard nuts and not poly. I used the poly nuts for the mock up because they were taller. My 302 does not have poly nuts . as far as the oil reflectors, I have never had good success with them. I guess I'm the only one using old school technology. It Litterly took me about 30 minutes to make the valve cover . my engine department is detailed, and my engine has 60lbs of pressure warm. The deflectors will work for a lower pressure system I guess. Just figured I would post.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 04:16 AM
John

Garage

302 is solid lifter OEM?

Adjusting with running needs a feeler gauge between rocker valve stem. I donít see how that can work with your modified covers?
69X66 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Not solid any more. Changed the cam with the head swap. Went with a hydraulic cam now. I guess I left a lot out of the post. Feel free to delete it.

X-77 keith
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 05:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I think its a cool idea. I do my hydraulics hot and running too every 7 years or so. I find adjusting the idle down low helps control oil splash but i also use rocker clips and an old cut up valve cover.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I adjust my hydraulic lifters cold using the EOIC method with a 1/2 turn down from zero lash (up/down movement only on the push rod), no twisting. I've never had a problem. Note that GM Service set them 3/4 down so the customer didn't return due to noisy lifters. When I had solids I would set them cold also cause when I checked a set lifter when hot, the drag did not change when cold the next day. So I never burnt my hands. Way back in '75 I used the metal oil deflectors while the engine was running when setting my solids, buts they still splashed oil.

Your hot vs cold setting with hydraulic lifters would have a very minimal difference, so why create a mess. Your not racing for millions in the NHRA.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 05:47 PM
Tech Team
bob

I've been using these clips on running engines for decades now....and my dad before me; without any issues or any big mess, nor with any type of valve cover on the engine. It seems like you are making it harder than the jobs really is.

Start the engine with the valve covers on and get it warm, shut off, install clips on one side; start engine adjust the valves, turn off engine, put valve cover back on and repeat for the other side. Valve cover is off for what, 2 minutes tops on each side? No mess, no fuss......quick and easy.

69Z28, jimnecci, flat tire and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob15 View Post
I've been using these clips on running engines for decades now....and my dad before me; without any issues or any big mess, nor with any type of valve cover on the engine. It seems like you are making it harder than the jobs really is.

Start the engine with the valve covers on and get it warm, shut off, install clips on one side; start engine adjust the valves, turn off engine, put valve cover back on and repeat for the other side. Valve cover is off for what, 2 minutes tops on each side? No mess, no fuss......quick and easy.

Bought a set of clips from JC Whitney back in 1974, and still use them to this day when I use a solid camshaft. I also cut the top completely off a set of old painted covers to keep the leakage down using hyd. camshafts.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
put some poly locks on the studs
Sorry just going off what you said.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Bob 15. I understand you have had results "without a big mess". To me , any mess is a big mess. I had some extra time. It Litterly took me 30 minutes to make the cover. I used it yesterday, without "any mess". To me it's a win. No mess, no oil on my coated headers,no oil on the fenderwells, no oil o, the head/intake, no oil running down the block. Zero clean up. The deflectors did not work for me. Glad they work for others.

X-77 keith
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Don't feel bad about the oil deflectors. I could never get them to work with stock rockers and they stood no chance with the old style extruded aluminum roller rockers before I switched over to the newer style chromemoly forged roller rockers.

I used to take an old 283 valve cover and cut out a flap with a panel cutter, that bent up on the bottom edge of the valve cover to allow access to the rocker arm studs; while still catching the oil. A lot of that oil was contaminated with my blood because I kept cutting myself on the sharp edges of that thin metal.

If I did that again I would slit a vacuum hose and work it over the metal to prevent a sharp edge.

Big Dave
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Dave, I agree that the diflectors work well in theory. Sorry about the loss of blood. I'm sure I have donated gallons to the shop floor. Nothing works for everyone. I also forgot to mention I have a "high pressure" spring in my oil pump. My engine has 80 psi when cold. The car does not like to idle under 1000 rpms,so I tried the cover thing.

Funny how some things work great for some, and not so well for others. For those that the deflectors don't work for, this may be a solution. I take no offense to those with other solutions.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode