Team Camaro Tech banner

Voltmeter

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Fred Ficarra 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Cool. I run both. The console unit is original and a voltmeter replaced the un-needed clock above the steering column. The amp guage is, well, useful, sorta.

#3 ·
Crap...$ US 119
http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf_id=CG-83&dept_id=3447
Shipping will be about $US 70 plus insurance etc
So that makes it just under $US 200
Landed here $NZ 270 plus tax of 12.5%

I have never figured out why the Americans put Ammeters in their cars, which basically tell you nothing useful, yet all my old Vintage english cars have voltmeters.....

#4 ·
Crap...$ US 119
Shipping will be about 70 plus insurance etc
So that makes it just under 200
Landed here 270 plus tax of 12.5%

I have never figured out why the Americans put Ammeters in their cars, which basically tell you nothing useful, yet all my old Vintage english cars have voltmeters.....
Ya know Steps, it might be because the manufactures thought we were too dumb to know what voltage readings represent.:yes:

#6 ·
I recon I can get one of my old gauges face, clean it off
use the guts out of another volt meter.
Then scan and resize to match the calibration of the volt meter being used, then print to a clear transfer....

#9 ·
Not sure if this has been posted before, but i found a voltmeter on the Rick's Camaro website for the console gauge cluster. I had never seen one before & thought many folks here would want to convert from the funky amp gauge.
here is the link:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/find.asp?m_year=ALL&level=0&find_spec=voltmeter
Cool. I run both. The console unit is original and a voltmeter replaced the un-needed clock above the steering column. The amp guage is, well, useful, sorta.
Crap...$ US 119
Shipping will be about 70 plus insurance etc
So that makes it just under 200
Landed here 270 plus tax of 12.5%

It is not an ammeter. It is a milivolt meter that measures the voltage drop from the wire that goes from the connector behind the battery to the horn relay. Repeat, not an ammeter from the factory.

#10 ·
Ive converted my factory ammeter to this unit and its great. I'm an early adopter and had a problem with an earlier unit as it grounding to the metal base plate of the factory gauge console. The screw studs were not adequately insulated. Returned and was sent a new gauge. Problem solved, its so much more useful to see voltage and the look blends right in.

#13 ·
It is not an ammeter. It is a milivolt meter that measures the voltage drop from the wire that goes from the connector behind the battery to the horn relay. Repeat, not an ammeter from the factory.
OK lets split hairs
A ameter just tells one if it is discharging or charging.
A volt meter once one has a basic understanging, if it is charging , discharging, basic condition of the battery, the charging condition of the alternator/generator etc

"a milivolt meter that measures the voltage drop from the wire that goes from the connector behind the battery to the horn relay"
Which in effect only tells one the same thing as a bloody useless ammeter.
So if the factory is teconatly a voltmeter, who cares at the end of the day it is useless other than the consol cluster would stupid with only 3 gauges.

BUT...an after thought on this..If it is a volt meter, then one should be able to put a resistor or something in the curit so it reads right and connect it across the battery feed.
Steptoe, you are one resourceful dude!
Ok this is out of my leauge....you bright sparks (pun intended lol) can this be done?

#16 ·
How difficult was the wiring cahnge from a stock ammeter? I was considering this option but my ammeter was reaplaced a couple years and seems to work fine. Basiclly its like any other gauge you just needj to know where it normally operates and take note of it being any different.

#17 ·
I did it the easy way. First I removed the useless clock because my new stereo came with one. (that was 30 years ago,,,,:wacko:) Now the clock is in the memory parts box. Then I bought a SW volt meter and hooked it to the cigarette lighter wire. You can see where it is just inside the steering wheel. It bolts right in. The ammeter is still in the console and works OK for what that's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.