Tires- Forced Balance - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 11, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hank

Tires- Forced Balance

My wife's car had excessive steering wheel vibration. Since it was under warranty, I brought it back to the dealer. They said the tires needed to be forced balanced. Please explain what this means. Googled it and could not come up with anything that made sense. Mods- I was going to put this is the wheels and tire forum, but was not sure. Feel free to move

Thanks

Hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 11, 10:00 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Tires- Forced Balance

I think you mis-understood the guy at the dealership or he didn't tell you properly. It's "road force balancing" not "forced balanced" Check out;

http://www.gsp9700.com/

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 11, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Is not Road Force just a brand name of a basically std wheel balancer found in any tyre shop?
Sounds to me like the salesman really doesnt know what he is talking about...and lets face it hes a saleaman not a tyre or mechanic....
Or he is usig fancy names or as we put it here, gobbly gook, to confuse a customer or to sound good.
Why the salesman doesnt be stright up front is strange...."we will book it into the workshop and find out" is all that is required...hell it could be a bearing from shiping long distance on a frieght train.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 11, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hank

Dennis Thanks for the link. Went to the web page and downloaded a brochure. Things are a bit clearer.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 11, 01:20 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Is not Road Force just a brand name of a basically std wheel balancer found in any tyre shop?
Yes it's a brand name but it's not like the typical tire balance you are thinking of and why I provided the link. If you would have invested a few minutes to research you would have a better understanding. One benefit of a Road Force balancing machine is it can put a load on the tire sidewall to simulate the weight of the car on the tire. There is also a balancer that leaves the tire on the vehicle and is refered to as road force balancing.

Road Force Balancing has been known to solve tire issues standard balancing can't. It actually can save you from buying new tires and I don't think anyone charges more for the service. You just won't find it available at every tire shop!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 11, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hank

Dealer did not charge. Said it was covered under warranty
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 11, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

i highly recommend hunter road force balancing to anyone. My shop charged $32 per wheel. Not sure about 4 wheels because i only got one done (replaced flat).

It's like having a new car.

There is also, by hunter, force matching where the tire and rim are matched to optimum position or something like that. So the sales guy may have also meant that?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 11, 10:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

I went round and round with new tires on my Tacoma a couple years ago and the Hunter road force balancing was the only machine that could balance them correctly. It did have something to do with hub-centric vs. lug-centric adapters they were trying to use, but the Hunter Rep actually came down and figured it all out.
Rob

67 base convertible, GMPP 350/330 HO, TKO500....
Taken around the block for the first time 12/2/07

Finaly getting some paint Sept. 2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode