How much weight should I put in my S10? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
How much weight should I put in my S10?

For winter snow/ice driving, how much weight should I put in the bed of my 2002 S10? I'm in the St. Louis area which doesn't get a lot of snow/ice but I know from past experience a little weight helps a lot when we do.

Here's a pic of the thing I built to keep the weight from shifting. Right now I have about 325 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S10 weight.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	26188  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 10:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: How much weight should I put in my S10?

I had a 2X6 I cut to fit across the bed behind the wheel houses and used to keep 2~4 bags of sand back there on my 77 4X4.
Helped a TON on icy roads

I would shovel some under the tires if I had a 'traction issue' when needed

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 10:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joel

Re: How much weight should I put in my S10?

This should do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicturesfromLaptop003.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	26189  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

250 lbs is about right.... what ever you put back there, make sure that it is tied down.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
george

I would say none.The reason being..the heavier you are..the harder to stop.Drop the rear tire pressure a few pounds for more contact patch and feather the throttle so as not to introduce tire spin on take off.
Fwiw..a little tire spin in a rwd truck =steer into the slide.Slide into an intersection due to added weight =T-boned/broadsided.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Along with the weight, if you don't have limited slip in it a Torsen from a fourth gen F-body goes right in. Replaced the 3.08 open with a 3.42 Torsen in my supercharged '97 with five speed several years ago. Best thing for ice though is to just stay home. Gutwrenching in an S10.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

We always carried 4-40lb bags of sand in the back of our RWD pickups in Maine. Same thing as above, if you get into trouble, you can lay a bed of sand for traction. The added weight over the rear wheels definitely helped with traction, as did a good set of snow tires.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 12, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

There is nothing more useless than a 2WD (or worse yet, non-posi) pickup truck in the snow. I speak from experience. One of the things that helped for me was to simply shovel the snow off of the driveway into the bed of the truck. You would be surprised how much weight there is with a big pile of snow, it doesn't shift around, and you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone by shoveling the drive at the same time. And when it warms up enough to clear the roads, all the snow melts out of the bed too!

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 12, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch

I've done that with other trucks but this one has a hard tonneau cover that makes that hard.

Now wouldn't ya know it. The wife wants to go to Branson next weekend and wants the back of the truck empty so if she finds some antique she can bring it home. I guess I'l unload the logs and hope we don't get any snow. Grrr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 12, 01:48 PM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
We always carried 4-40lb bags of sand in the back of our RWD pickups in Maine. Same thing as above, if you get into trouble, you can lay a bed of sand for traction. The added weight over the rear wheels definitely helped with traction, as did a good set of snow tires.
X2
Gotta have some weight in the bed. Overdo it and you'll kick the rear out. I use 3-4 80lb sand bags laid inside a 2x4 frame I put between the wheel humps. That and a set of Firestone Destination AT's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode