LS1 belt problems - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

LS1 belt problems

Working on an '03 Corvette with an LS1, belt was squealing at all speeds, replaced the belt and it began squealing and eventually ate up the outer edge of the belt (towards the engine side).

I noticed that the belt was not seated correctly on the crank pully, the outer edge (towards the engine) of the belt was partly riding on the harmonic balancer. I seated the belt back into the crank pully again, and checked to make sure the belt was on every pulley correctly, and it was. Within a few revolutions, the belt then slipped off again. Replaced the tensioner, same thing. Belt is new, but now torn on the edge and probably has a groove worn into it. Either way, I've looked at it, and a Chevrolet dealership in East Texas earlier today, the guy said they've had problems with the crank pully, but that seems extremely unlikely.

TLDR: Belt slipping & squaling.

Has anyone experienced this? Where should I go from here, without spending tons of money. The vehicle is completely stock, 50k miles.

Thanks.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: LS1 belt problems

Well, after thinking it was the tensioner and replacing it with no luck, checked the bolt on the harmonic balancer just to see if it was tight, and it was almost completely loose. Couldn't get a wrench or socket to fit because of the steering rack, said screw it. Friend took it to a dealer, new balancer and $600.00 later, it's fixed. I think that's a bit much for labor, but it was a Chevrolet dealer charging $80.00 an hr, and a balancer shouldn't have been more than $130.00 if they didn't have to remove the rack (i'm almost positive you have too on the vettes) he got burned.

Moral of the story is, if you're gonna run 'em hard, check all of your bolts, especially those leaky intake bolts that wiggle out with vibration.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

i've had the inertia ring walk out on a HB before on a Jeep, did the same thing you mentioned and it took me quite a while to figure out what the problem was. When they are making noise for no know reason now, I will always start by looking at pulley alignment first.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 12, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

Well I spoke too soon, it's doing the same thing again. They apparently replaced the balancer, I've yet to check to see if they actually did or not, other than that I'm completely lost on what it could be, guess it's time to start taking accessories off and ruling the pullies out one by one.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 12, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

you need to run a straight edge across pulley fronts to see if one is out of line from the others, either at an angle or out of plane.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode