82 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

82 350

Hey guys how are ya ? I just need your opinions, I have a 350 in a 82 cutlass , its a stock rebuilt bottom end with a come 270H-10 comp cam 70cc edelbrock aluminum heads, specs are intake runner 185cc exhaust runner 60cc intake diameter is 2.02 and exhaust diameter is 1.60, comp roller rockers performer intake , msd street fire dissy and a 670 cfm holley street advenger carb, has 150 psi per cylinder for compression. I was just wondering if thoses heads are a right choice for the engine or if I should of went with something else, I will be getting 410 gears and posi here soon so that should help over the stock gears, and is my compression ratio around 8;1 ? and with that set up what do you guys think a ball park HP would be for the engine? I know its a lot of questions but I would like to find out what you guys think .
thanks all in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

Re: 82 350

anyone?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 07:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

corey, I don't recall the exact specs on that cam, years ago a friend had one in a 305 iirc.

I would guess around 320 HP , and I think the compression is around 8.5 or 8.75 . IMO those heads are a pretty good choice for what you have. Might be a touch on the large side, might be something to grow into as time goes on.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

ya I like the heads I just wanted some one elses opinion, people around here told me to to swap thoes heads out for some 64cc to bump my compression up But I dont know if it would be worth it or not and the cam specs are duration 0.50 gross valve lift .470, is there anything you would do different ? iam running a TH350 lock up with a stock converter, should I go with a bigger cam?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

When you get the lower gears a larger cam would be a good idea imo.....you could just pull the heads and get them cut down..thaat and using a thin metal gasket would help bump the compression by maybe a point. I wouldn't change the heads just to get a smaller chamber, not a great enough gain in power to offset the cost.

The best thing to do imo is to start building another 350 or 383 shortblock, one that is more appropriate for you long term power desires....then put those heads on that new engine along with a better intake and 750 vs carb. You can get close to building a new shortblock for the price of new heads. Put 10-1 forged pistons in the new shortblock .

The problem with doing a piecemeal changeout in your current engine is that it will be mismatched and you won't achieve the performance gains that you are looking for while you are making the changes.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

Ah I see your point, I think thats what I will do then is build another engine hey what kinda of pistons are a good idea ? flat tops? and is a stock 350 crank strong enough or should I change that out?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by steps350 View Post
Ah I see your point, I think thats what I will do then is build another engine hey what kinda of pistons are a good idea ? flat tops? and is a stock 350 crank strong enough or should I change that out?
I would recommend a good forged flat top piston and a stock steel 350 crank will certainly do the job for you. You can find the crank by searching Ebay and Craigs List, or call some local engine shops.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

ok I will do that, hey is there a better intake I can put on my current motor that is bettr then the performer rpm? like one that will go better with the heads
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

IMO the Performer RPM is a pretty good choice with the heads you have now. If I were you I would plan on using it-and once you get to a point where a single plane intake may make more power then you can switch them. Easy task, not much coin.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

ok I will do that then, I took your advice I am picking up a 4bolt main on tuseday to start out fresh with , I will probably have more questions but thanks for steering me in the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode