NOT a Camaro Motor - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
NOT a Camaro Motor

Looking for some advice:

This Spring, I hope to build my first motor...

It will likely be for a '67, 4 wheel drive stepside Pickup.

The block is a 400ci GMPP replacement motor (I cannot get to it to look at the ID numbers right now, but I am told it is a "high Nickel" block, whatever that means--it is a two bolt main block, and has the rotating assembly with it.

I am looking to rebuild using a pair of 882 heads...

I don't need crazy horsepower numbers, but do want it to perform well in the truck..thoughts on cam? Roller or flat tappet, lift, duration, etc?

Also, if not boring the motor, what can I expect machining to cost--cleaning, fluxing, etc? What else would you recommend on the build?

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Re: NOT a Camaro Motor

Man.... I would really think about some new heads your not going to get alot of performance out of 882's.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

I thought about that...I also have a pair of 462's and a pair of 461's on the shelf...

Thought the 882's might be a better match for the 400 than for the 350 blocks that I have...(in other words), i'd rather the 462's or 461's live on a 350 block, once I cut my teeth on the 400!

Not looking for crazy performance, but a decent powerband for a pickup would be nice

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Keith,

You can probably figure on spending about 100 bucks to clean the parts, inspect them for cracks, and to mag the heads.

The 882's are an okay head for a stock or mild performance build....they do have a rep for cracking. That of course doesn't happen a lot, just more than on other heads from the day.

The 462 and 461 heads are the old camel back or double hump heads from the mid to late 60's. either of those castings will be okay for a mild build-I use them on all kinds of engines-race, street, hot rod, whatever...but there are better choices available for what you are doing. You can use Vortecs or RHS heads which are much better in quality and configuration and the cost will be about the same as going through a set of old OEM heads. For a valve job, guides, truing the heads, etc...you can spend 600 bucks or more.

The high nickel content of the block means it is pretty strong for a production OEM block.

As for your cam, most people like using hydraulic rollers..they will cost at least 2x what a flat tappet cam and lifters cost, and a lot of people use the roller set up since the oils today are lacking proper quantities of certain minerals for lubrication-

I use flat tappet cams exclusively and use Brad Penn oil, never had a problem. Good oil can be hard to find.

As for the cam profile you will have to determine what power level you want. And, to be candid, you should contact a cam grinder for your specific needs. I use Bullet cams in all my stuff, I would call them and ask for James.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Just looking for a mild performance build, maybe a step or two over stock...just have no idea what to look for in a cam for a truck...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 03:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Trucks come from the factory with big torque converters...I suppose for the low end towing. Since your truck is 4 wheel drive you probably want to stick with a cam that makes some low end grunt.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode