I need some suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

I need some suggestions

Guys I have a work truck 97 nissan pickup. Had it for a lot of years without the first problem. Now I have one, and really don't know where to start. 2.4 engine.
Every now and then, last time this happened was about 6 months ago. But when leaving a traffic light the engine sputters really bad. It doesn't kill, but if you accelerate hard, and get up some speed, it feels like you are shutting off the ignition, then turning it back on. Over and over. The sound that the engine makes is the same as it would be at a speed of 50 or so, and you would shut off the engine, then turn the key back on. I believe that the engine is actually dying, then restarting because I'm rolling in gear. I know it's either electrical or fuel, but I'm not sure what to test, and because it doesn't do it all the time, if even it would show up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have another vehicle which I will be using until this is solved, and will be using it because I go through some not so safe areas on my way to work. Just please give me a place to start. TIA.

1968 LeMans Blue Camaro-Resto in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: I need some suggestions

I would say to see if there are any codes stored. Most AutoZone and Advance Auto stores will do it for free. To me is sounds electrical in nature like intermittent spark. Some say check EGR and Fuel pressure however I would do that as the last resort. Get codes, make sure EGR is not sticking and run the engine at night in the dark looking for spark jumping.

Kev
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

Thanks, looking for spark is one thing i'm going to do, and also check the distributor cap. But the last time it did this none of those two things were the problem. Actually I never did find the problem it just stopped doing it for 6 months. This problem doesn't trigger the "check engine" light. Will it still show a code if the check engine light doesn't illuminate?

Last edited by vjp819; Feb 20th, 12 at 12:23 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 03:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I had an old truck with 2 fuel tanks and each had it's own fuel pump. One tank had a failing fuel pump and it sounds like you described it perfectly when I tried driving around on the one tank!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

One common problem with Nissan trucks was/is the fuel pump relay.
Might start there, cheaper and easier to replace.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

Thanks guys gonna look at both when i get a couple days off

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 04:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I have an 88' kingcab SEV6 with 328k on it and had a similar problem about 9 years ago, turned out to be a short in the wiring.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

thanks scott. ignition short is something i've got to look at. it does feel like i'm turning the key off and on again while getting down on the accelerator. that engine would make the exact same sound if I accelerated hard to reach a speed of 50 or so as if i were to turn off the key, rolled for about 60-70 feet. then suddenly switch it back on over and over, but if i were to drive at a constant speed of 40 or 50 its not noticeable. almost sounds like a couple of other posters suggested the fuel pump or relay too. if that relay is sticking that might answer why this isn't something that happens every time i drive the truck, but only periodically.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

There are alot of issue's with fuel pump relay...I believe its a blue relay and may be mounted on rf inner fender. We always got them from the dealer, but last time I got one aftermarket it was a Nissan one in after market box. also when was fuel filter changed last...alwaqys a GOOD starting place on those kind of problems! j

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

Thanks Jay, I have a couple days off finally, and I hope to have a little time to look into all the suggestions you guys have offered. The truck does have nearly 200,000 miles on it and the fuel filter hasn't ever been changed. In fact before looking for it, I never even knew where it was located.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 12, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fuel filter clamped onto the inside of the frame rail.
Easiest way to find it is buy one and look for a simular item throughout the truck.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 12, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: I need some suggestions

Along with hooking a Fuel-Pressure gauge to the system and monitoring it as you drive - I'd recommend doing a diagnostic check of the TPS (throttle-position-sensor) and be sure it's response is linear and to spec.
A failing pump or clogged filter with lead to fuel pressure failing to maintain spec. at acceleration.
Failure to maintain pressure under load or at top end will often be a failed/failing Pressure Regulator - you can check vacuum diaphragm with a short piece of tubing or use a hand vacuum source if you have one. You should see noticeable change in the fuel pressure readings while applying vacuum to the unit.

I've found and fixed several driveability issues same as this due to defective/failing TPS units ...

Also be sure to check the rear of the Throttle Blade (in the Throttle Body) and clean it if coated with soot - a dirty throttle blade will upset the air-flow to the sensor and delay enrichment response from off-idle transition thru at-cruise conditions.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 12, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I had an old truck with 2 fuel tanks and each had it's own fuel pump. One tank had a failing fuel pump and it sounds like you described it perfectly when I tried driving around on the one tank!
Well a couple weeks ago I had a little time to pull the tank and look at the fuel pump. When I pulled it out, the filter attached to it had some really fine particles stuck it it. I'm not sure what it was although it looked orange in color and didn't appear to be rust. The tank was otherwise clean. I know the plugging of the filter sock had a lot to do with the eventual failure of the fuel pump. I replaced the pump, pump filter and fuel filter in the engine compartment. It's run fine ever since. I'm just happy the truck never left me stuck on some road somewhere.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Kewl! Thanks for the update.
Good to know what fixed it.
Orange stuff, huh?

'
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Along with hooking a Fuel-Pressure gauge to the system and monitoring it as you drive - I'd recommend doing a diagnostic check of the TPS (throttle-position-sensor) and be sure it's response is linear and to spec.
A failing pump or clogged filter with lead to fuel pressure failing to maintain spec. at acceleration.
Failure to maintain pressure under load or at top end will often be a failed/failing Pressure Regulator - you can check vacuum diaphragm with a short piece of tubing or use a hand vacuum source if you have one. You should see noticeable change in the fuel pressure readings while applying vacuum to the unit.

I've found and fixed several driveability issues same as this due to defective/failing TPS units ...

Also be sure to check the rear of the Throttle Blade (in the Throttle Body) and clean it if coated with soot - a dirty throttle blade will upset the air-flow to the sensor and delay enrichment response from off-idle transition thru at-cruise conditions.
I'd put $$$ on that dirty mass flow sensor (throttle blade). Older units after a fair bit of m/km tend to muck up the fuel system. You may have to take off to clean properly.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode