Not a Camaro, but a chevy - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Not a Camaro, but a chevy

hey guys im in need of serious help. i have a 2009 avalanche that has just developed a misfire on cylinder #5.

here is the story.

last week i changed all plugs and wires and k&n air filter. truck ran beautiful

yesterday i took a 300mi round trip to pick up a hood at ground up restorations. i use E85 gas but on the way at a rest station i filled up with 87 regular since they do not have E85 i filled the tank from less than 1/4

on the way home still far ways to go the truck started hesitating while accelerating and when letting go of the gas the check engine light would flash.

today i did some trial and error.
1st i swapped the #5 coil pack with another and it still showed a misfire on #5. next i installed a different plug, same thing. then i switched out the wire with no change.

this is my daily driver and i really cant afford lose this truck. it only has 44000mi

thanks for any help!

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Re: not a Camaro, but a chevy

btw, i did use sea foam in the gas tank and ran some thru a dedicated vacuum line through the intake.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would use a temp gun and measure the temp of the exhaust port of the suspect cylinder to see whether or not the cylinder is firing.
OBD II will hold the fault until several starts, I think fifty, and if the fault goes away, SES light will go out unless ECM is reset/cleaned of faults.
Strange the other seven cylinders run and one shows a fault with the change of everything else.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

ive done searches and they said a clogged cat can be the cause as well as an intake vacuum leak by suspected cylinder. engine light only comes on when i punch it and let off the gas. it then flashes as it idles down

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you suspect a cat, take it back to the dealer as it is covered by federal mandated 100K mile warranty.
But then, why do the other seven cylinders run good?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Very interesting that you used Seafoam.... I used it too, just before my cat was clogged on my Blazer. I added it to the crankcase and the gas tank. Then did an oil change 30 miles later as per directed. Then the cat clogged. Hmmmm.... Maybe the seafoam is too strong and causes too many pollutants to exit the exhaust at one time? too much for the cat to handle? just thinking out loud... interesting though....

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
Very interesting that you used Seafoam.... I used it too, just before my cat was clogged on my Blazer. I added it to the crankcase and the gas tank. Then did an oil change 30 miles later as per directed. Then the cat clogged. Hmmmm.... Maybe the seafoam is too strong and causes too many pollutants to exit the exhaust at one time? too much for the cat to handle? just thinking out loud... interesting though....

i poured a full bottle in the tank at the gas station just before fill up. then poured half a bottle through the brake booster vacuum line as per directions and a few days later this happened.. but the truck pulled hard and ran so smooth after i changed all the plugs and wires. tomorrow i will hit the cats with a hammer to see if it unclogs or if there is anything rattling inside

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 12, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

A friend of mine put his scanner on my truck. It was reading faulty cats along with #5 misfire. He said using the seafoam cleaned the chambers real good. So good that it clogged the cats causing back pressure and a misfire. He said it targets the weakest cylinder in the bank. Thank god for the national 80k mile 8 yr warranty on cats lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 12, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Makes sense.

'
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

The dealer called and they said they changed all the spark plugs and wires and it will cost me $225. I told them I put new wires and plugs in last week and I'm not paying for that she said well that's what's clearing the codes whatever

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

driving home from work this morning it started to hesitate again but this time the engine light did not light up. i thought it had a little hint of a hesitation when i got it back from the dealer today im going to put all of the original wires back on

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Can't hurt.

'
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

oh and to correct what i said the dealer replaced, make that 1 plug and 1 wire $250. its a good thing i hold on to parts for reasons like this. they also had the nerve to ask me if i wanted the injector cleaning service for another $220. i said lady, i can buy brand new injectors for less lol

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

I don't know about the codes and connection they have to problems as shown on the SES, but one thing that sort of stood out to me was you put a K&N filter on at the same time, they are notorious for oil from the filter fouling the sensor in the intake air meter on cars that have them (does the '09 Avalanche use them? I don't even know..) Something to consider anyway, sounds like the dealership is just guessing right now too.

The theory behind computer controlls is ease of diagnosis, that is true sometimes but definitely not always... any of my cars that are factory computer controlled go to a shop that has the tools to fix them, I don't even bother with them anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old..

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

i did pull out the filter and noticed a small puddle of purple oil in the lower corner. i placed the filter on some paper towels and used a heat gun to warm it up. then i took compressed air and started spraying and all i seen coming out the other side was a huge mist of oil. i did this for about 7 minutes. wiped it down sprayed my MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, installed everything back and took it out. hit the gas and it still has a hesitation at high rpm. my next thing is to buy a regular paper air filter and reclean the MAF sensor and take it out again.

i will keep yall posted on my findings

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode