2007 Silverado Using Oil - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

2007 Silverado Using Oil

I have a 2007 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 engine and active fuel management (shuts down 4 cylinders when not under load). Back in the fall, I had the low oil light come on with only around 3200 miles since the last oil change. I ended up adding 2.5 quarts to put it back to the full mark. Two weeks ago, the same thing happend to me again. Around 3200 miles and the low oil light came on again. I added 1.5 quarts to bring the level up into the safe range (according to the dipstick - would have held another quart to bring it up to the full level). I visited my local Chevrolet dealer where I purchased the truck and they did not seem that surprised that my truck is burning oil. It just turned 40k miles! Their first attempt at repairing the problem is to change the left valve cover because the replacement is supposed to have some sort of baffle in it to help with oil consumption. They lead me to believe that this would not fix the problem but is what GM is requiring them to do as the first attempt to fix the problem. The part is currently on backorder so I am patiently waiting.

Has anyone else experienced oil loss with one of these engines? After searching the internet, I have read quite a few stories about oil loss with primarily the 2007 models in several GM vehicles that use these engines. Also, I only have used Mobile One 5000 conventional oil in this truck since new, never ran synthetic in it. I have always changed the oil between 3000 to 3500 miles even though the oil monitor says there is still around 40% oil life left. Just curious if anyone else has had any experiences such as this. Thanks for your time.

Mike
68 Camaro SS396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 07:56 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: 2007 Silverado Using Oil

Mike I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. No oil leaks or anything. I can relate my experience with Mobil 1 synthetic though. 4,000 miles seems to be when the oil starts to disappear ( for whatever reason). I had this experience with 3 trucks already. I told some friends about it who also used Mobil 1 synthetic and sure enough they experienced the same problem. My recommendation would be to use synthetic blend (half dino, half synthetic) I haven't had a problem since with oil disappearing.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 07:59 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

seen this before, gm spec is 1 liter per 3200 kilometers any thing under that kms its a issue, if it uses more than whats allowed it gets the engine decarb'ed and a deflector in the crank case, the repair looks after that in almost all cases. if it still burns more that whats allowed then it gets rings and pistons. Dont read into the net to much….its full of bad..lol...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 08:21 PM
Scott

I have the same truck and engine and also have the same issue. Mine started somewhere around 75,000 miles and I now have around 115,000 on it. I usually have to add around half a quart at the 3,000 mile mark. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse however. I've never asked the dealer about it or anything.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 08:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Send a message via AIM to 97 CAIVIAROSS

My buddy has the same problem. Has a ledger to keep tabs on it. Has had it back to the dealer 3 times for it. First time they may have done the valve cover. Second time was the engine decarboning and third was the splash shield or windage tray. They told him it was in the ring pack design for 07 08 5.3 with cylinder deactivation. His is still using oil don't remember how much now but he has experimented with different oils. I believe he said the GM oil has been the best as far as consumption. Wil check with him tomorrow.

Derek

97 Camaro SS #1925 6spd (Cammed, now it sounds right!)
67 Camaro SS 350 #s Matching (Being Restored..umm covered in garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
11 GMC Sierra 2500hd (Driveway Queen)
09 Impala 175,000 and still going (Work Car)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Ugh. Sorry man. Just for the heck of it I'd go up a weight (40 if you're using 30) and see what it does. Won't really help if it's because of a baffling problem at the PCV though which the valve cover deal would seem to imply. There are baffled PCV grommets on the shelf at the parts store (usually over in the Mr. Gasket and dress up parts section) and you could try one of those which would help keep oil off the PCV.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Mike I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. No oil leaks or anything. I can relate my experience with Mobil 1 synthetic though. 4,000 miles seems to be when the oil starts to disappear ( for whatever reason). I had this experience with 3 trucks already. I told some friends about it who also used Mobil 1 synthetic and sure enough they experienced the same problem. My recommendation would be to use synthetic blend (half dino, half synthetic) I haven't had a problem since with oil disappearing.
Never ran synthetic in it, always conventional oil - 5W-30 as stated in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt View Post
seen this before, gm spec is 1 liter per 3200 kilometers any thing under that kms its a issue, if it uses more than whats allowed it gets the engine decarb'ed and a deflector in the crank case, the repair looks after that in almost all cases. if it still burns more that whats allowed then it gets rings and pistons. Dont read into the net to muchÖ.its full of bad..lol...
Roughly 1 quart per 2k miles? Seems a little excessive to me considering my older trucks with the 5.3 never used a drop of oil with many more miles on the engine. Anyhow, I seem to be outside that tolerance with it using 2.5 quarts in only 3200 miles. Fortunately, I still have about nine months of warranty remaining.

Thanks for the replies!

Mike
68 Camaro SS396

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 06:42 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Mike the blend (half & half) comes in 5W30. Valvoline Durablend.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 07:00 AM
Retired
Jim

I wonder why those engines are that much different than the older 350's ? My 97 tahoe doesnt burn a drop of oil at 158,000 miles and its had Amsoil 100% syn 5w-30 in it since 67,000 miles... maybe after 10 years of new technology they changed ring seating or cylinder wall machining or something ? sure seems odd.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

This is odd. Never heard of it. But sorry to hear of your problems.

My 1993 Silverado with the 5.7 started burning about half a quart by oil change time at 4000 miles, but this was only after it had over 120,000 total miles on it.

My 2002 Silverado with 5.3 never burned a drop of oil - even at 150,000 miles.

I had a 2010 Silverado with the 5.3 and active fuel management on it. That did not need any special oil, but I used Valvoline synthetic. Only had 2 oil changes on that truck, then damaged bad by hail and traded off, but to my knowledge it never used oil.

The 2011 Silverado crew cab with the 5.3 I have now with active fuel management does not seem to use any oil, but these (at least the 2011s) are now required to use GM Dexos or full synthetic.

I would maybe try a different oil. I have had good luck with Valvoline full synthetic.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -

Last edited by bcm66; Mar 14th, 12 at 09:07 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Virgil

I had an 05 CC SB that was doing the same thing. Ordered a new vehicle and while waiting, a friend told me to pull the "pcv" line (I know it has no real valve like we are used to) off the drivers side valve cover and clean line, down in VC etc with a good cleaner. I did this, and it seemed to have stopped the problem, as I had to drive it a while longer while waiting on the Suburban.
Seems GM knows about it,(since they changing left VC) as I do not remember a baffle in the driver's valve cover on mine. From what I understand, from his explanation, the line would get partially blocked and suck the oil thru, for some reason.
Just something to check into.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCHMIDT9090 View Post
Roughly 1 quart per 2k miles? Seems a little excessive to me considering my older trucks with the 5.3 never used a drop of oil with many more miles on the engine. Anyhow, I seem to be outside that tolerance with it using 2.5 quarts in only 3200 miles. Fortunately, I still have about nine months of warranty remaining.

Thanks for the replies!
Talked to my buddy. He said as per GM 1 quart for every 1000 miles is acceptable. He has tried all different kinds of oil. Does not matter so he sticks with conventional to keep the cost down. If it consumes more then that they would but new pistons with the updated ring pack in it.

Personally I think that 1quart for every 1000 is absolutely ridiculous.

)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
This is odd. Never heard of it. But sorry to hear of your problems.

My 1993 Silverado with the 5.7 started burning about half a quart by oil change time at 4000 miles, but this was only after it had over 120,000 total miles on it.

My 2002 Silverado with 5.3 never burned a drop of oil - even at 150,000 miles.

I had a 2010 Silverado with the 5.3 and active fuel management on it. That did not need any special oil, but I used Valvoline synthetic. Only had 2 oil changes on that truck, then damaged bad by hail and traded off, but to my knowledge it never used oil.

The 2011 Silverado crew cab with the 5.3 I have now with active fuel management does not seem to use any oil, but these (at least the 2011s) are now required to use GM Dexos or full synthetic.

I would maybe try a different oil. I have had good luck with Valvoline full synthetic.
This problem affected 07-08 5.3 with the cylinder deactivation. Updated ring pack was used in 09 and up.

)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

I have had the same problem with my 07 GMC. I took it to the dealer repeatedly for them to "monitor" the situation. I also got the "itís acceptable" answer. I suspect that they will tell everyone that because if they admit to having a problem with those specific engines then they will have to fix virtually all of them and that is just not cost effective.

GM loses credibility every day. Itís getting awful difficult to remain brand loyal to them when there are so many reasons not to be. It seems like the company line these days is telling customers that a problem is not really a problem just so they donít have to address the actual problem. With todayís technology it is absolutely unacceptable for an engine to burn oil like that especially when there are no visible signs of leakage. I have two other cars that clearly leak oil and still donít have to have oil added between oil changes.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

GM isn't the only one who says 1 quart per 1000 miles. Practically every manufacturer gives a number anywhere from 1 liter per 1000km to 1 quart per 1000 miles as acceptable.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode