1978 Oldsmobile (my parents car) - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

1978 Oldsmobile (my parents car)

My Dad called last night to let me know they've finally decided to let their Oldsmobile go. Sorry not a Camaro but thought this could be a fun one to attempt to place a value on.

He's had people saying they'll give him $50 bucks so thought I'd try to get a better gauge on value for good 'ol dad.

I see this car falling somewhere between a potentially somewhat desireable classic and an outdated big' ol land yacht that most people wouldn't want to be seen in. Delta 88 2-dr. 130k miles, good & solid straight body w/original faded paint, all original inside and out down the hubcaps, V-8, A/C doesn't work but car runs/drives nice and smooth and my parents still enjoy riding in it on couple hundred mile journeys around the state. Interior is faded but not too shabby. I was thinking $500 but maybe this model is starting to actually go up in value these days. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Re: 1978 Oldsmobile (my parents car)

Those were great cars 77/79 and it,s a 2 dr anything that runs good at today,s prices has to be worth 750 to a grand.Don,t sell yourself short that olds motor if the oil has been changed regularly will run in excess of 300 k miles but i would do a timing chain at 150 k with a water pump and your good to go. I had a 79 88 that i dropped a 70 455 into with a small cam as a winter car and daily driver. You should have seen the look on some faces when they thaught it was your grand pa,s Oldsmobile. That Rocket engine was one of the finest power plants ever desingned. Thanks to Gilbert Burrell who designed it.When Boss Kettering assembled the crew of engineer,s to design that Rocket engine he said " Gentlemen ENGINES ARE MADE OF METAL AND BRAINS LETS USE A LITTLE LESS OF THE FORMER AND A LITLE MORE OF THE LATTER". That,s today,s history lesson . Alex
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Thanks for that story and advice Alex. I'll pass onto to my dad to bump up the price.

Prior to getting this car back in 1987, my mom's previous ride was a '64 Olds (4-dr) with the Rocket 425 (I believe - does that sound right). The car road like a cloud on a calm day and had very good power in stock form. I'd sneak it out in high school and beat quite a few muscle cars with 305 and 350 SB chevys and laugh like crazy while doin it with 6 friends in the car. They ended up sellling that one for $50 after it took a good side hit (but kept on tickin) many years ago - wish I had that engine now.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 11:40 AM
Guess

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/2798362857.html

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/2838339118.html

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/2882432143.html

$4000
http://americandreamcars.com/1978old...yale100211.htm

$1300
http://pinebush.olx.com/1978-olds-de...-iid-206364867

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Very interesting Joe - seems the late 70s Olds cars are starting to gain some "classic status". These examples are tellin me we should go higher. Parents car looks just like the one that's going for $4k except for vinyl top was used by neighborhood cats as a claw toy and now looks hideous.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 02:55 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Condition is everything, next is if the car falls into a smog check / inspection program. These big door GM cars can look mint and the bottom of the doors can be rusted out! A car listed for $4k is likely to sell for $2k

Here's a '78 Cutlass right in my neighborhood, the seller wants over $5k! Notice the bidding didn't go over $2k... This car is really clean!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...item231b035440

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

I forwarded the link Joe listed to my Dad and advised that he donate the car and use that ad as support/justification for big tax write-off. Thinking he'll come out way ahead compared to selling and someone who really needs a car will also benefit.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 03:40 PM
Guess

http://www.kidney.org/support/kidneycars/index.cfm

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 12, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Awesome - doesn't get easier than that - forwarded to Dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode