Catalytic converter question - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 12, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

Catalytic converter question

2 years ago, I replaced the original cat on my 1984 BMW 325E. Immediately after installation, the car underwent a smog test and HC and NOX were within limits.

Last week, I was driving when a sound like an angry beehive began to eminate from under my car. I got home, got under the car, tapped on the cat with my fist and it sounds like marbles loose in there. The cat I installed 2 years ago has an 8 year warranty on it. I had the car smog tested today and HC and NOX were slightly higher but still within limits. I called the manufacturer of the cat and they are trying to tell me that something is wrong with my car, the cat must have overheated which can occur with leaking injectors or a bad muffler. Muffler was replaced with new factory unit 3 years ago. I was told by a friend who is a car mechanic if my injectors were leaking, my mileage would be pretty poor. My milage is still pretty good. Is the manufacturer just trying to dodge the warranty on this?

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 12, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Catalytic converter question

Yes, he is. He is bound by Federal mandate on his convertor.
You should have the warranty on it and it should be written who installed it, what day, mileage, blah, blah.
Got to love an E30, I had an '88 iC, loved it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 12, 03:55 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I had a CAT that "rattled" mostly at stop lights, and stop signs then after months it was silent one morning. I thought great it fixed itself.

Once I got on the highway I discovered that I had no power. All knocks and pings even on the slightest grade. Turned out that the "netting" inside holding the platinum particulate that does the magic had rusted out and that particulate was now blocking my exhaust. Was a very slow ride to the dealership that morning.

CAT had been recalled - but I was never notified because the dealership had sent the paperwork to the title holder - Chrysler Credit - and sad story short - replaced under warranty and they changed the address attached to my VIN.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 12, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

Well, I do have all my paperwork regarding purchase and installation. What I think they are trying to do is dodge the warranty by saying my "malfunctioning" car caused the problem.

alan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 12, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I had the same 'Angry Bees' sound start emanating from under one of the 90's Old's ( still have a couple 'Oldsmo'bubbles' in the family fleet - my dad L-O-V-E-D Oldsmobiles and I keep them in his honor ) and it turned out to be the failure of the 'Honey-Comb' element internally in the "Capitalistic Convertor".
This was a "MagnaFlow"* replacement unit and they replaced it with no questions asked - it to was @2~3 years in service before the failure.
The car passed 'Smog' both times before the failure ...
I often scanned the ECM to see if there are any Pending codes during routine servicing and never saw a problem prior to the failure.
The car still runs fine with no other issues and this unit is now @3 years old ...

If your mechanic says there are no internal or fuel system issues contributing to the failure I would advise them of this - in writing - and would request they replace it (in writing) - and forward to CARB if they bawk or give you any problems ...

* = BTW - I buy these through 'Summit'
Most don't realize they sell these at GREAT pricing compared to any other source I can find.
One little problem though - they can't/won't/will not ship to CA due to CARB regulations - so you have to go pick-up - just sayin' that's how I'd do it if I ever had to

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 12, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

Funny, my cat was made by Magnaflow as well. Thanks for the input guys.

alan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 12, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I replaced my rattling (98 Dakota) factory cat with a Magnaflow 2 years ago and currently have a CEL indicating a faulty cat. Meow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode