O2 Sensor - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

O2 Sensor

Got a new O2 sensor for my new cat pipe I will be installing this weekend. The sensor came with raw wire ends so I need to splice it onto the existing plug. Does it matter if it is a crimp or solder connection? I seem to recall something about crimps being better in this situation.

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: O2 Sensor

The type of connection is not as important as the integrity of it in this use.
I most often do a crimp connection if it can be done correctly - BUT ... I make sure it completely water-proofed when finished!
You can use shrink-tube or coat it completely with silicone (or both) as long as you know you can keep moisture out of the connection.
Any corrosion in the future will change the hysteresis of the response and lead to poor tuning of the system.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

hysteresis?

alan

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 01:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: O2 Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
hysteresis?

alan

Is "Response Range" better -

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

I'm still at "bad connection". I can see where a cold solder joint could wreak havoc, it just seems that a good solder joint would trump a crimp connection, no? The only advantage I see to crimp connectors is they are faster in a production setting.

alan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: O2 Sensor

I for one always used to do and recommend a soldered joint over crimps for many years - but I've found that many just don't know how to correctly clean, heat and complete a solder joint anymore - so the crimp is a decent fall-back ...

I've also had to re-do a wiring job someone did using acid-core solder on a TPI street rod installation a few years back - what a mess
The joints had corroded to the point of failing in several places causing all sorts of issues with the ECM system.
They also over-heated many of the wires - did they use a torch? - and they were so brittle at the ends that I had to cut quite a ways back to find good wire

If you know how to solder, use the correct materials AND seal it against water penetration that could cause future corrosion, then I would go that way.
If you don't, use of the crimp with the proper crimping tool will produce a quality joint that should function just as well ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 12, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

There is no substitute for a soldered connection done right, crimps are just faster. Is this going in a factory vehicle? I've had poor success with the splice in O2 sensors, they just do not work as well as an OE application.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 12, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

A little late to the party, but if you take the sensor back and ask for the Bosch equivalent they usually come with watertight posilocks if it's a universal one.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 4th, 12, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Good luck with that. The cheapo no connector sensors usually don't work out so well. Just try to get good tight crimps and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode