Ressurecting mothballed rebuilt motor - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Ressurecting mothballed rebuilt motor

OK so not really mothballed, it sat under the hood for 20 years but never fired. The motor is a 351 Windsor in my sons 69 Ranchero he got from his grandfather. Grandad rebuilt it and put it in but never fired it up. He did put oil in it and when I pull the dip stick I see nice clean oil and no signs of water or anything else. It had plugs, exhaust manifolds and an air cleaner on it the whole time but the car did sit outside but in a really dry part of California (Paso Robles). There was no radiator hoses installed though. So how far do I go back into this thing before firing it up? I am assuming I will go ahead and yank it back out so I can clean up the engine bay anyway. I will pull the pan and take a look to make sure there is not signs of rust in there but should I pull the cam and relube it or just pull the manifold and lifters, prelube them and put some lube on the cam lobes while it is still in there? I am also kinda worried about the crank seals, should I try to lube them somehow before turning the motor. I have not turned it at all in fear of a seal being stuck to the crank and tearing. Also has a rebuilt C5 trans but it never had any fuild and the lines were not hooked up. I am going to go ahead and pull the pan on that too and see how it looks. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Ressurecting mothballed rebuilt motor

I've got a 305 in similar condition, but it has miles on it. I rebuilt it and drove it maybe 10,00 miles and it been sitting ever since. I didn't think it would sit over 10 years so no oil in cylinders or any other precautions. I'll be pulling the heads to see how much rust in the cylinders then I'll go from there, possible re-ring and check the bearings. Alot depends on budget at the time I'm ready to open it up.

Jeff
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would take the spark plugs out and view with a borescope the cyl walls.
I would even turn the engine over by hand and spray the bejesus of every cylinder with WD40.
I would install a fresh battery and remote start button and crank it, then reinstall the spark plugs.
I would hook up a fresh gas can to the fuel pump, maybe pull a bowl off the carb to see the cleanliness of the bowl. You know the rest of the fuel delivery system will need tending.
I would change engine oil & filter.
I would then fire this puppy up!
Oh, fill trans and keep an eye on it also since its built.
I would then say sub-consciously "Thank you, Granddad."

Harbor Freight has a borescope for $80, if you need a coupon, PM me and I'll send you one from my weekly mail from them.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 10:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I would prime the motor after changing the oil by pulling the distributor running the pump with this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=85900_0_0_

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Definitely prime it first, then roll it by hand after/between primings and squirting the walls with WD40.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I would take the spark plugs out and view with a borescope the cyl walls.
I would even turn the engine over by hand and spray the bejesus of every cylinder with WD40.
I would install a fresh battery and remote start button and crank it, then reinstall the spark plugs.
I would hook up a fresh gas can to the fuel pump, maybe pull a bowl off the carb to see the cleanliness of the bowl. You know the rest of the fuel delivery system will need tending.
I would change engine oil & filter.
I would then fire this puppy up!
Oh, fill trans and keep an eye on it also since its built.
I would then say sub-consciously "Thank you, Granddad."

Harbor Freight has a borescope for $80, if you need a coupon, PM me and I'll send you one from my weekly mail from them.

Everette that was my first thought then I started thinking that since it has never been fired up since the rebuild and the cam is not broken in. You think the assembly lube is still there? I think I am just going to toss on a newer Edelbrock 600 carb that used to be on the Camaro as far as carb goes.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverlookin View Post
I would prime the motor after changing the oil by pulling the distributor running the pump with this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=85900_0_0_

Ya I would for sure use a primer tool, Autozone loans those out, I accidentally purchased the one for Chevy engines when I forgot to return the loaner

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

New carb would be a good idea and a bottle of GM EOS.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Ya good call on the EOS. I am so tempted to just change out the oil, add some EOS, prime it and fire it up. I do need to get a rad installed and runs some trans lines, he halfway ran some custom trans lines to an external filter, I think I am going to just bypass it and go with stock lines. You think the seals on the motor and trans should be OK? At least the engine seals have had some oil against them but the trans has been sitting dry. Maybe I will blow out the trans lines with air and do the same for the water passages in the block in case any critters got in there. I have no idea if he primed the converter though.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Reads like a good plan. Go for it!

'
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 01:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

If tranny was built by a shop the internal seals are probably coated with Vaseline. When I install them I coat the hub of the converter and the driveshaft yoke with gease for prelube. I've done less prep in the past then suggested above but I'm wishing you a better outcome then I've had. Good luck!

Jeff
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 03:20 PM
dave

Prelube and EOS are a great idea. But all that assembly lube on the cam and crank journals will be gone by now. Ideally the motor should be taken apart,cleaned and reassembled but it will probably be fine.Just make sure you do a REAL good job on the prelube.Good Luck!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 12, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Here is a vid of one of the bores I did with a scope. Looks great! I looked at 4 bores and they all looked the same. Also I now know its a nice and low comp motor for my teenage son

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 12, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I agree, looks good from here.
Squirt copius quantities of oil into them, crank it over several times, then go for it.
Looks like some assembly required.....HA!
I actually like the rear view mirror.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode