Rust undercoating too late for an '05 SUV? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rust undercoating too late for an '05 SUV?

Just changed the oil on the '05 family SUV...and while underneath the vehicle, noticed that there was a fair bit of rust starting...doing its usual thing...eating!

So, was wondering if I should get the thing rust coated, with that heavy oil procedure that they do...or will it just be a waste of money?

Have owned the SUV for three years now, and I guess its seen three years of winter driving out of the seven. I believe that it came with a factory undercoat, but can't see that lasting more than one season.

Basic question:
Do you think it's too late now to get it anti rust undercoated, or just let nature do its thing? The wifey and I are arm wrestling this issue right now!

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Rust undercoating too late for an '05 SUV?

No suggestions/ideas?

capt

I'm QUALIFYING!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Well, you need to neutralize or remove the rust first otherwise it will just continue to do its thing. Not sure if a rust proofer or sealant will do that for you. You need to check the product out and see what it says. If it's just surface rust then you might be able to sand it off, prime it and then get it rust proofed but if its into the metal I would say just let the vehicle be eaten up unless you want/need to keep the vehicle for a long time. Northern cars just live a hard life, no getting around it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the feedback, Lee. Good points.

capt

I'm QUALIFYING!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 12, 06:07 AM
Team Member
Phil McCullough

capt.The best "luck I've had with rust "fixin" on underbody parts is with rust converter and paint (rust oleum if your not going to restore or try to use other paint over it works well but dries slow) be sure and follow label directions. I have used Permatex convertor and found it to work well, but use gloves (Latex) when you work with it, it stains skin and doesn't wash off readily. Etching primer then paint on non rusty surfaces will keep it from the red scourge. A little work (get it up in the air) will assure preservation. This method is less work and works well for me. PRMc
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 12, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

It may be worth your while if not too far gone. Some places that "rust proof" do little good and don't know how to treat. Undercoat as I remember it is a sound deadener and does just that, does not prevent rust. Many will get brittle over time and crack and let water penetrate. At this point you would probably be best served by a more thin penetrant and light coating, something along the lines of cosmoline or a mix of it with a penetrant. If done right it's a messy job - besides spraying the underside you need to get over wheel arches, inside doors and quarters, fenders, trunk lid, seams on panels, all the usual rot areas. Personally I'd get a cheap sprayer from HF and try out/experiment a few things myself, see how it looks a few months later, rather than try the rust converters and painting. Can't do any harm if the rust is already too advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode