2007 gmc envoy P0449 code - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 12, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
2007 gmc envoy P0449 code

Hey guys,

I have 2007 gmc envoy. A few months back i replaced my envoys fuel pump because the fuel gauge broke and well it has 145k on it. When i replaced the pump I kinked one of the lines. After i filled it up, well that kink turned into a hole in the return line and gas was pouring out. So at this point I had it towed to shop since the tank was full and I had no way to store 21 gallons of fuel. Got the vehicle back. No leaks and runs great however now I have this P0449 code which is Evap Emissions Control sytem vent VIV Sol mal. It appears this is a common problem on gm trucks so I replaced the tank vent, but that didn't help. Is there anyway to tell if the valve I bought is bad or if there is a problem with the wiring or something? Money is getting tight and I'd like to fix this myself.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 12, 09:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: 2007 gmc envoy P0449 code

The system actually has two (2) valves in it - one on the tank (Vent - you replaced) and one under hood (Purge).

The "Evaporative Emissions System" is pulling a vacuum on the lines to the two and then sensing if it holds or 'leaks' - if it detects a 'leak' it sets PO449 ...

Be aware that ANY vacuum leak (from the lines, the components, the tubing to the filler neck, the Fuel Cap and even a tank leak) can and will set the code and prevent it from re-setting after a few drive cycle.
Also be aware that if it set from a pending code going active during all your repair work, as well as what the shop did, then it may just go out by itself after it figures out there really isn't a leak ...

I would return to the shop that did the work and have them use their OBDII system to re-set the code and turn the MIL light off - if it returns in a few days then you have another problem to find.
If you don't want to go to shop, most chain auto parts stores will also reset for free.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

I have a scan tool that can erase the code. As soon as I start it up again it comes right back on. I guess it can't hurt to get a new gas cap and purge valve. Before I do I'll check the hoses connections again

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 08:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Does your scan tool re-set both the 'current' and the 'pending' registers, or just reset the MIL to "Off" as some of the cheaper type do?

If your tool is erasing the 'pending' and it's coming back on immediately at/after start-up then it must be a pretty big vacuum leak ...
Check to be sure the valve(s) are powered up and actually activating when the key is on. Voltage (Orange wire?) should be nearly battery/system voltage (to ground) - if low check fuse ("CAN VENT"), connectors or wiring.
You can test the valve(s) function with a vacuum checker, like a 'Mighty-Vac', if you have one - Harbor Freight has a 'cheaper' one also that would probably work ...

Evap issues can be a real B1tch - just fiddled with one on my sons 90's Nissan yesterday to get it through the wonderful California Smog Check (well that and a 'lazy' O2 sensor) - needed a couple Guinness' to relax after it finally passed
So that's three passed and three more to go - this year
Looking forward to the day I can retire as the acting "Head mechanic of the Family Fleet" - but I don't see that day as coming anytime soon ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

The funny thing is that when I put the new pump in, I drove about 15 miles. the last half mile is when the line finally started dripping fuel. There was no light on. It only came on after I picked it up from the shop. I know I should have brought it back to them immediately, but putting a car in the shop is kind of a major project for us with our schedules. This is my wife's vehicle and she is a visiting nurse so getting time to work on her car is a major pita.

Since the light wasn't on before the tank was in and out a few times, I'm thinking my best bet is to start with the wiring. The hoses fitting were all snapped back in place and I can't see any cracks or anything on the lines coming off the tank vent or the filler tube.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: 2007 gmc envoy P0449 code

I always start with the plumbing actually ...
I disconnect the valve (or whatever is on that line) and plug and then pull the line down with my Mityvac to test integrity.
@90%+ of the time there is a crack/leak/bad connection involved.

The shop may not have gotten all the lines/clamps back correctly or even cracked one - wouldn't be the first time I found that ...

And, oddly enough, I once had a 90's Olds set that code - I replaced the Vent Sol. and re-set. All seemed okay for a few days then MIL came on again
Test of the system showed all looked okay
Only thing different was the fuel tank was very low - it was low when I did work but was very low now
Went to fill car so i wouldn't run out and light went off on way back to garage
Re-check of system showed all still same
Only thing I could think of was low tank was delaying vacuum cycle check effectiveness as it ran ECM scan and 'tested' low according to check. So it turned on MIL ...
After re-fill it never came back on again ...

You're positive the re-read of the MIL cause code was still P0449 right?
Is there any other 'pending' code(s)?
A vacuum leak can also trigger P0443 at times ...

I really don't think it's ECM related and don't have a pin-out for the ECM on a 07 Envoy/Trailbalzer that I can find right now, but I'd bet you could find it on the net.
You could then look at the feedback it's looking for and probe that wire.
Still don't think that's it - I'd bet it's vacuum line related ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode