What Year Camaro rear disk brakes do I have? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Thomas

What Year Camaro rear disk brakes do I have?

We need some help here. My cousin purchased a 55 Chevy which came with a Camaro rear disk brake system. How can we identify what year the disk brakes are from? One thing we noticed right off, is the caliper on the driver side is forward of the rotor, and is at the rear of the rotor on the passenger side. Not sure why that is. Knowing what Gen the disk brake system is from would be a big help. Thanks for your support, Tommy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:46 PM
David Pozzi

Re: What Year Camaro rear disk brakes do I have?

Cast iron?
Brake rotor diameter and thickness, is it vented or solid?
How about a better description?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Thomas

Exactly what info do you need and I'll ask him tomorrow? Thank you, Tommy.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 04:17 AM
Guess

As David asked, are the calipers iron or aluminum? Are they vented with fins, or the typical solid chunk?
There may be numbers cast into them. What are they?

Having one forward and one rearward is typical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Picture would be better.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 08:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Most likely not JL8 rear disc's, and I don't think any 2nd gens came factory with rear disc's so that would rule out 1967 through 1981. In 1982 the 3rd gen was available with rpo J65 front and rear power disc brakes so that's your starting point.

Help us out with some design characteristics, what type of parking brake? How is it operated? Are there backing plates? How are the brakes attached to the axle housing? Was the axle housing retrofitted along with the brakes?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Thomas

Looks like I need to go to his house to take some pictures and take some measurements. I will get back to you with some answers. Thank you very much for your support, Tommy.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Thomas

I took these pictures. Hope they help. The rotor has an 11" diameter. The center hole is 2-3/4". It is 7/8" thick and made of cast iron. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are numbers on the inside of the rotor. The 4th picture is of the backing plate. The 5th picture is of the rear end housing which is a Camaro rear end. The 6th picture is of the emergency brake cable and brackets. The 7th picture is an end view of the caliper. Thanks for your support, Tommy.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 08:10 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Tommy those pictures are so small, it's really hard to say too much. I can see the spring perch in the last shot is not from a Camaro at all, looks like aftermarket or Mopar. They are often used when an axle housing was originally a coil spring unit but I can't see enough to really say more on the housing, the squared off dog ears at the bottom suggest an 8.5" rear. The shot with the e-brake cable doesn't look like a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro caliper to me, let's see what others say...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I can't tell you what they are but I can tell you what they aren't. They are not 93-97 LT1 Camaro nor are they 98-02 LS1 Camaro. If they're even Camaro calipers, they are 92 or earlier. They could be late 80's Firebird or Cad Seville but that's just a guess.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Thomas

I just found these pictures on the internet. For the 1st picture, the person who posted it says it is from a 94-95 Trans Am. That entire rear end appears to be the same one that I have. For the second picture, the person who posted it, says it is for a 79-81 Camaro/Trans Am. Do any of these pictures look familiar to anyone? Thank you for your support, Tommy.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Thomas

Ok, problem solved. I found these 3 pictures on the internet. This rear end housing is from a 1970 to 1981 Trans Am/Camaro. It is indentical to the one that we have. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 12:10 PM
Guess

I agree with Dennis... your spring perches are not the 'pocket' type. Yours are different, they're small and flat.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
I agree with Dennis... your spring perches are not the 'pocket' type. Yours are different, they're small and flat.
Being that the rear is under a 55 Chev the originals were probably cut off and new/different perches welded on.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: What Year Camaro rear disk brakes do I have?

Sorry I'm so late to the parade on this

Those are 1979~early 80's GM RPO-J65 rear disc system.
They were used on several vehicles in the Pont. Cad. and Buick lines.
Only the vehicles with a 4 3/4" pattern are usable for rotors, but most of the rest of the parts are interchangable.

Cousin still has a 1979 Firebird Formula with that system ...

There is a great thread on 'NastyZ' with info - http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88613

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode