What causes 91 GMC 6 cylinder to loose power? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 12, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wayne

What causes 91 GMC 6 cylinder to loose power?

I just bought and old half ton pickup with the V6 and 5 speed manual. 109K miles. It had been setting a while. It was on empty so I went to a station and put in a few gallons to make sure the gauge worked and have enough fuel to get home. It was running good for 3 or 4 miles and suddenly it started to cut out and lose power. I mean it cut out a lot. I drove about a mile and found a place to stop and check it out. I looked at the filter underneath and it looked like it may never have been changed. I installed a new one. The old one was stopped up. However it didn't make any difference. It doesn't back fire but it acts like it is only hitting on a few cylinders every now and then. It just barely would go up a hill. By the time I got home it would just barely run in 1st gear.

So, how can I tell if it is the fuel pump, spark or what? I had a 90 GMC, same engine, that wouldn't idle and it turned out to be a split rubber fuel pump hose inside the fuel tank.

Thanks, Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 12, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: What causes 91 GMC 6 cylinder to loose power?

Yeah seems a gdamn good flush and service needed
Often over looked and mis diagonised is the simple stuff.
Check out the inlet manifold... thes EGR engine are notoruous to have carbon build build up inside....good clean and good to go.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 12, 05:37 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I would start with a good tune up. Plugs, wires, gas filter etc... If that air filter was that dirty, that is a good indication the truck was not maintained well.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 12, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wayne

I finally got to do some checking things out. I took the IN direction side of the fuel filter loose and watched as a helper turned the key on but not to turn the engine over. I could hear the fuel pump for a few seconds and fuel dribbled out. I used compressed air and blew back into the tank. Then fuel came out but not much pressure. It would spray out with my finger very lightly over the end of the fuel line. I'm guessing that the fuel pump is either bad or there is a lot of debris clogging the pump up. I did drive it a short distance and it it was way better.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode