Vinyl Wrap - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 12, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Vinyl Wrap

I'm preparing my '69 Nova for significant metal work to eliminate corosion issues (after 25 years of ownership!).

Knowing that action will cost a pretty penny...few leaves left on the money tree for a couple of years.

Thoughts were to primer the car following the surgery and then wrap the car in the final color (Garnet Red) as a temporary step.

I've searched and found a few threads discussing the activity, but from several years ago. Any updates to the technology, acceptance, etc.?

Any experiences?

Cost for a similar sized vehicle?

Thanks

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 12, 01:27 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Vinyl Wrap

I've heard it's not the cheapest way to go.... but have you thought of that Hotrod black ? (John Deere black is about $100 ?) which will protect it better than a wrap and be easier to re-paint later ?
Just an option

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 12, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Vinyl Wrap

Cost is around $400~600 (or more if you go GaGa on it) for most cars.
This is materials and you do it yourself for the install

I've known a few that have tried different levels of wrap as a full top-coat and the initial results are usually pretty good.
The problem is the longevity - or actually lack-of-same - after a few years of normal road and weather wear ...
I've seen fading, noticeable nicks and tears, pealing back from sharp body lines and at cut lines and a few other things that result in an overall 'ratty' look on each of these after a while.
Just take a good look at some of the commercial and display vehicles you see on the street and at events and you can see the kind of thing I'm talking about.
But, if this is just a temporary 'fix' for paint that you plan to re-do again down the road I don't see why I wouldn't try it - you go 1st

Here's a past post discussing one member who wrapped his vehicle - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...highlight=Wrap
But Robert thinks out-of-the-box on several levels

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 12, 06:04 PM
John

Garage

Recently saw a professionally wrapped late model caddy.

The guy paid $6k for the wrap. Wraps are best when on smooth substrates and no telling what you'd end up with in a couple years when you strip it off. Again not a cheap either. I would would also be concerned it would maybe trap moisture (although I have no for sure info)

I think I agree with a Hot Rod Black or another good long lasting primer.

This is a 69 I bought earlier this year. Black primer. A great looking 10 footer

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 12, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks for the replies!

I recall now that Hot Rod wrapped an older Caprice couple of years ago so will have to dig that issue up...

Price: I will likely not do it myself...$6000 is way out of the price range. I was thinking it in the neighborhood of $2000-that would be reasonable. Again, this is a temporary measure for a few years until more funds are accumulated.

The Hot Rod Black is very interesting and had not given it much thought. The Camaro looks very good-intentional even. I have body painted dog dish hubcapped wheels to go with mine so black car and red wheels might be odd for a period.

Very good points though...it looks like I will have to have some bodywork done after the metal work...the skim coat isn't sufficient to protect from corrosion.

I also recall another magazine doing a primer paint job and using an orange tint. I thought it was Liz Miles Camaro...I could do with orange as well.

Thanks!

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode