Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What ! - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 12, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What !

Non Camaro topic:

This is what i get for getting a rare SUV. I have a 98 GMC Suburban 7.4L 454ci, " Smog Pump is shot " .. Local Mechanic contacted my GMC dealership and they state its been discontinued ? I put in a formula to lower the emissions, and cross my fingers i pass the test this weekend. But if i don't .. Does anyone know where i would find this pump ? Online all places i checked say sold out or discontinued.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 12, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What !

Go on Google...they are everywhere.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...998&vi=1304693

Kev
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
Go on Google...they are everywhere.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...998&vi=1304693

Kev
They are everywhere for the regular 350ci stock, but not for the 7.4L V8 with the 454ci. These are discontinued. I have been searching high and low. I'm taking my smog test this weekend. Uuuuuhhh ! I'm in deep doo, doo now. I have called pick n pull, dealerships, checked on websites. Man this is a pain in the rear.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 10:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What !

The answer is pretty simple, and I've dealt with it on a couple vehicles now

IF:
* the part(s) to repair the system are either 'cost prohibitive' - due to multiple attempts to repair or other issues.
OR:
* the part(s) required to effect the correct repairs are no longer available and can not be located through the assistance of the CA-BAR
Then the vehicle is given a 'waiver' by the state BAR Referee and that part or system is no longer required to "Pass" bi-annual certification.

This should be a pretty straight forward process for your vehicle, since it is a known condition of the part not being available any longer through any known source.
GM even has a 'By-pass' Idler Pulley for these vehicles.
Part number is #10129569 (Summit has them @$50).
With this information you should be able to get a waiver with out to much problem.
Good luck

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 12, 05:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post

IF:
* the part(s) to repair the system are either 'cost prohibitive' - due to multiple attempts to repair or other issues.
OR:
* the part(s) required to effect the correct repairs are no longer available and can not be located through the assistance of the CA-BAR
Then the vehicle is given a 'waiver' by the state BAR Referee and that part or system is no longer required to "Pass" bi-annual certification.

This should be a pretty straight forward process for your vehicle, since it is a known condition of the part not being available any longer through any known source.
With this information you should be able to get a waiver with out to much problem.
Good luck
Yep...in stock too....
Kev

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10129569/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:

IF:
OR:

Good luck
Vintage 68, where did you go to get the bypass ? I did my smog test, and got my fail slip. Now do i go see a referee station ? Or how or where do i go from here ? Also wondering if i need that bypass pulley ? I got a shorter belt on, and its running good. Do i still require this bypass pulley ?

Thanks for your response

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What !

You do not 'need' the bypass pulley if you can route the shorter belt to drive everything still and it clears alright.

I used a GM system I had the owner order from Summit and it fit just fine.
I didn't want to get into figuring out a new belt routing and/or a 'custom' belt length with them, as they travel and tow with their vehicle - feared finding part(s) could get weird for them in the future.
I believe it's been at least 4~5 years now and they still have that Suburban and still tow every summer with it ...

The State Referee will review the work and the records for that vehicle and systems and give his approval (or dis-approval) of the removal of the original systems parts.
He will then annotate the computer records for the vehicle's smog testing if he approves the modifications - so that future 'smog-check-only' testers will not fail the vehicle for lacking that system.

It's actually pretty straight forward, and once you visit the "Ref." they will either pass the vehicle or fail it and make you do future work/re-work/repairs to get them to give you a 'Pass' for the bi-annual testings.

Wishing the best - I've had a few ... uhm ... well ... let's just say 'interesting' discussions with them in the past
But we eventually came to an understanding and got the vehicle(s) through

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
You do not 'need' the bypass pulley if you can route the shorter belt to drive everything still and it clears alright.

I used a GM system I had the owner order from Summit and it fit just fine.
I didn't want to get into figuring out a new belt routing and/or a 'custom' belt length with them, as they travel and tow with their vehicle - feared finding part(s) could get weird for them in the future.
I believe it's been at least 4~5 years now and they still have that Suburban and still tow every summer with it ...

The State Referee will review the work and the records for that vehicle and systems and give his approval (or dis-approval) of the removal of the original systems parts.
He will then annotate the computer records for the vehicle's smog testing if he approves the modifications - so that future 'smog-check-only' testers will not fail the vehicle for lacking that system.

It's actually pretty straight forward, and once you visit the "Ref." they will either pass the vehicle or fail it and make you do future work/re-work/repairs to get them to give you a 'Pass' for the bi-annual testings.

Wishing the best - I've had a few ... uhm ... well ... let's just say 'interesting' discussions with them in the past
But we eventually came to an understanding and got the vehicle(s) through
Thanks Vintage 68, i actually called them, provided all the information they required, the process has begun. They will do a search for this discontinued part, and give me a call to see if they find it, or what other steps to take from there. Cheers !

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What !

Not a problem.
Like I said in the earlier reply - they (CA-BAR) will do a "parts availability search" 1st and then respond if they find it for you to order, install and re-test.
If they can't find it they will either call the vehicle in for a visual check and 'Base-line' test (usually it's never happened before and they don't have any previous tests to go from) and certification.
Or ... they will issue a 'waiver' and release the certification to the DMV to issue your "stickers"

The 'Good' news is - they use the same search methods you've already used to find out you could get the part you need.
The 'bad' news it takes them longer - they are state employee's ...
Either way they will get it resolved.

btw - I think if you call the BAR referee's and just say 'I have a 199_'s Jaguar' they just mail you a 'we give up' to just 'pass' it ...
They seem to love it when they see one with the engine "Changed" to a 350 Chevy

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

I wish it were that simple. These guys work fast, they were able to find someone who will supposely have this item in a weeks time. Part is going to run almost $500, but they found it. Now i have to call in a week to see if he really has it, but i am going to try to find it elsewhere. $500 is way more then i thought i'd spend for a air pump. If they would have gave me a pass sticker, i would have been 500 times happier, lol ..

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 12, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Discontinued Smog Pump / Air pump ? What !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexlas View Post
I wish it were that simple. ...
... Part is going to run almost $500, but they found it. Now i have to call in a week to see if he really has it, but i am going to try to find it elsewhere. $500 is way more then i thought i'd spend for a air pump. ...
And 'surprisingly' ... just above the $450 minimum* to repair the system required by the BAR
(* before they'll let it 'pass' anyway ...)

If they are intent on now stating that 'the part IS available' - then you might want to look into someone repairing the original.
If had good results with 'the Rebuilding Factory' for some truck and tractor parts - http://www.rebuildingfactory.com/
They were 1/2 ~1/3 the cost of a factory part for some items

And WOW, that was a fast response.
It took them almost 3 weeks to respond on the last one I went through.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 13, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Well i finally purchased my smog/air pump from a dealer on Ebay, parta was about $440. Now i must replace the battery this weekend and i'm headed straight to Ammco next weekend to get me a quote. Instructions with the part state, all hoses, and some valves must be replaced by a ASE certified mechanic, or voids warranty. My truck has been sitting since Jan 5, 2013. I am finally almost ready to get it back on the road. This of course will take away from me hooking up my 68, it will have to wait longer. Just an update, cheers fellas !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode