Problems with Overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 12, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Exclamation Problems with Overheating

Please note that this is not for a camaro, this is for a 91 Volvo 240. I know this site is strictly for Camaro's, but from the years I have been here I have learned that there are a lot of very knowledgeble people here that work on a variety of cars and would know right off hand what to do about this...

While driving home a few days ago, the fan belt broke on this car. I managed to make it home without blowing the engine, but when I replaced the belt and coolant and started it up, the temp gauge shot straight into the red. I took out the thermostat and it was completely destroyed. I bought a new one and checked everywhere for leaks, all seemed to be in order.

Now when I start the car, the temp gauge will slowly move up into the red, then settle back down in the middle where it should be. From there it will stay in the middle until I shut the engine off and let it sit for a few minutes. Each time I start this car the same thing keeps happening.

What can I do to prevent this?

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 12, 06:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Problems with Overheating

Does it have a recovery tank? If it does it is a closed system and you probably have air that needs to be purged out.

What aren't you telling us about when the fan belt broke? Why did you need to replace the coolant and the fan belt?

Oh and please note I moved this to the "Non-Camaro Tech" forum where it fits very well!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 12, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks...

When the fan belt broke, the engine started to overheat. Once I got home I also noticed that the bottom radiator hose had also popped off. After replacing the belt and thermostat, I also reattacted the hose and filled the fluid resevior with coolant hoping that this would solve everything. Unfortunately the temp gauge still rises, then settles.

With he engine off and cold, I went and loosened the thermostat housing to see what would happen. There was a lot of air pressure built up. After letting it purge, I tightened it back down and started the engine with the coolant resevoir cap loose enough to purge any additional air that may be fed back into it. This still didn't solve anything. The engine still keeps doing the same thing.

If there is indeed any air in the waterline anywhere, what do you all recommed as the best way to get it out?

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 12, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I dont kinow volvos, but an engine is a engine at the end of the day.
Throw or break (I thow) a fan belt, that temp goes up real fast, coast 1/4 mile of the highway down the off ramp, keeps the rate of temp rise, bit not so out of control.
Close down the engine at the lights.. lights green fire up and turn onto a foot path park...this piont the engine getws shut down fast...
In my experiance, thats about the extreme limit for a engine with a few miles up on it, and not do damage, like warp a head...
1st check is hydrocarbbons/ COx gas test of the cooling system.
That checks out, full flush of the radiator, test the thertmostat in a elecrtic jug, and even if new.

Quote:
I also noticed that the bottom radiator hose had also popped off.
Did u replace that?
What usually happens is it just gets put back on, and the reneforcing sprinfg inside is not checke to be in good condition...usually its long corroded away and gone and its non existance is not noticed lol
I dont think it relates here, as this usually effects hot highway driving at higher rpms, suck of the water pump, hose collaspses, slow down less such cools down.
Worth a check if havnt done so.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 07:57 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
Thanks...

When the fan belt broke, the engine started to overheat. Once I got home I also noticed that the bottom radiator hose had also popped off. After replacing the belt and thermostat, I also reattacted the hose and filled the fluid resevior with coolant hoping that this would solve everything. Unfortunately the temp gauge still rises, then settles.

With he engine off and cold, I went and loosened the thermostat housing to see what would happen. There was a lot of air pressure built up. After letting it purge, I tightened it back down and started the engine with the coolant resevoir cap loose enough to purge any additional air that may be fed back into it. This still didn't solve anything. The engine still keeps doing the same thing.

If there is indeed any air in the waterline anywhere, what do you all recommed as the best way to get it out?
Sounds like it got really hot, your t-stat might have failed allowing the pressure to build up beyond the stat rating and caused the hose to blow off. I think there is a temp compensating board that is part of the gauge cluster that can get damaged, that a bad t-stat or trapped air are the most likely problems causing the gauge spike. Usually you can run the engine up to temp with the rad cap off to purge some air but be careful. You also might find air bleeds you can unscrew and purge the air. Check the owners manual for locations, basically with the engine running at temp you open the valve until it starts peeing.

I would also look into what caused the belt to be thrown or break, you might have another problem like a water pump starting to go out.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 12, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Today I plan to run the engine for a while (idle) with the cap off the recovery tank. Hopelully that will halp pruge any air in the block out

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I tried this and it had little effect. I found that if I run the engine till the temp gauge goes into the red, turn the engine off and loosen the thermostat housing, this would release any trapped air inside. After doing this about 4 or 5 times, that seems to have done the trick.

Right now everything seems to be o.k.

Thanks for the responses guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode