Jeep tire pressure sensor question-help? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jeep tire pressure sensor question-help?

My daughter has an '06 Jeep Liberty and the unit seems to be sending warnings of low pressure. Is this a weak point in the Chrysler line...or is it a point of weakness of these sensors in general? I've never had much to do with these things.

To date, she's had it into the dealer, and they've taken off a tire replaced it with the spare, put in a new valve in the tire that is now a spare. But the low pressure light she says is back on.

I'd hate to see her ending up with a big bill putting in a new computer part. Guess I'm used to using the old tire gauge and checking out the pressure myself. She will definately have one by the end of the day!

So, guess I'm asking:

Do these electronic devices "screw up" much?
Usually how much pressure loss turns on these sensors?
Can the low pressure light be cancelled out with a scanner?
What would you suggest?

capt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 11:20 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Jeep tire pressure sensor question-help?

Is the light on steady or flashing. On some steady indicates a low or high pressure warning and flashing indicates a bad sensor or system fault.

With the onset of winter it's likely to be moisture, debris or mud and snow interfering with the reading of the sensors. Sometimes they work fine but all too often (doesn't matter brand) they are a pain in the butt.

Here's general info; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pr...itoring_system

Google your make and model along with tire pressure sensor and you'll find plenty of related info...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

The sensors do fail sometimes. They do give a warning when the pressure goes below the recommended tire pressures. The owners manual gives the procedure for re-calibrating them, pretty easy. I would do that and see if it solves the problem. Sensors cost about $25 each at most part stores.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 12:24 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

on my 2006 Grand Cherokee I have one sensor that one pound low and it goes off, the other 3 are about 3 pounds before notice. I have never replaced any of the sensors so she came from the factory that way.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, OM gives reset procedure. Make sure all tires have the same pressure, within a 1/2 lb.
Sensors work, turn on, when driving, generally around 20-25 mph, and report a loss of 10%-20%.
Sensor battery designed to last 10 years, or so, dependent upon miles driven.
TPM antenna is usually located about drvr side front wheel area.
The nice systems will tell you pressure of each tire with the OBC, On Board Computer, use the car icon/button.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys for the immed and useful info, eh? Was able to walk into the dealer with said info and carry on a decent conversation, asking the "right" questions.

Seems that up here in the land of ice and snow, the valve/sensor unit costs $120 retail, and another $60 to take the tire, install the unit, which ended up a hair short of $200. Let's see, that's $600 the remaining valves to be replaced down the road...hmmmm?

Personally, I'd turf the valves/sensors, and go with the reg valves, checking the tires every two weeks or so. These opts are more of a convenience than a necessity (IMO)...but, they at the branch "warned" us that she'd have to sign a waiver, acknowedging the fact that the sensors were not there any longer. A scare tactic on their part? I can't see a meaningful use of such devices in say in a blowout, or the need to replace tires because of low presssure. In the first case the sensor may not act in time, and and in the second, negligence is more the cause.

Anyways, thought to share this experience if you find yourself in a similar situation either of having a vehicle with this sensory set up...or a young one who has one.

Again, thanks for the quick shares...but that's what this site is all about! Helping each other.

capt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

It's a simple thing to change if you have a "friend" with a tire machine, but as yor thinking wev'e survived quite a while without them.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 12:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcanuck68 View Post
Seems that up here in the land of ice and snow, the valve/sensor unit costs $120 retail, and another $60 to take the tire, install the unit, which ended up a hair short of $200. Let's see, that's $600 the remaining valves to be replaced down the road...hmmmm?
I'd check a local tire center like Discount and see just how bad the dealership there is gouging you!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

TPM's were added as a safety feature alerting the driver a tire has lost air before tragedy strikes. Also, for those who don't do regular maintenance as we do. Started out as an option, now Feds' are going to make it mandatory and they will become std feature.

Case in point, Mother-In-Law drives her car 30 miles one way min twice a week in Iowa.
She complained a red light was on, had been on all week. Wife asked her the shape of the red light and MIL described it, Wife said low tire pressure warning, look at the tires. MIL found one not looking like the other tire on the same side.
Wife said the TPM is doing its job.
MIL was thankful.

Yes, I have them on my M3 'Vert and Wife's company car, '09 Impala.
I think its a pain in the butt, something else to break.
Funny thing tho', BMW says a low tire, you pick it out.
Impala reads each tire and displays pressure. Go figure.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

They are a nice add on. I have them on my Silverado 2500 HD and it's reassuring to do a tire inflation check when towing 12,000 lbs. on a four lane at 65 mph.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Oh yes, I do agree, they are nice to have.
I started going to work at 5 AM and get down the block, TPM comes on.
I stop and look, rear tire is not round.
I return home and take another vehicle.

Saved me from getting very far. Tire had a drywall screw in it.

'
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 12, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

For those that are wanting to disable the low pressure sensors and corresponding dash light, the procedures are explained if you do an internet search. I read the story over on Moparts about doing that when changing to different rims.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode