95 z28. help me with this engine..plz. - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 13, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
nope

95 z28. help me with this engine..plz.

Picked up a 95 z28 with a manual transmission and a rebuilt lt1 for a Caprice 6 speed swap... before everybody starts groaning about tearing up another Camaro for a swap, I do have another auto 95 that's in great shape and is a 1 of 1 car...blah blah blah. anyways I got the whole car for 4 grand the motor was rebuilt with the crazy drag cam and it runs like crap it's tune for e85 and I want to make the thing a little tamer and put it in my Caprice with the transmission. if you could help me out with the parts I'm about to list and what I can do to radically calm this motor down, I'm all ears. here's what she has in her...

the block was hot tanked and pressure tested. the mains were line honed ARP main bolts were installed the cylinders were honed and the crank rod and piston were checked the assembly was balanced there were cam bearings freeze plugs and galley plugs installed. this was all done at Big Al's toy box in Connecticut.

other work was done at Danbury competition engines on that receipt
it says valve job minimum port work .506 cam W 1.6

competition cams valve springs 1.075 inches outside diameter 372 pound inches rate 1.100 in coil bind.

comp cam hi tech roller race timing set.

comp cam steel valve spring retainer steel 7 degree 1.055 in outside diameter .640 inside diameter

comp cam extreme energy camshaft hydro roller tappet advertised duration 290/307 lift .510 / .540 LT 1 LT 4

comp cam hi tech pushrods chrome moly he treated 5 sixteenths diameter 7.200 inch length

ARP high performance series rocker arm studs 38 - 24 inch thread 1.895 inch affective stud length this may be wrong because it is listed as a Ford part

Harland sharp roller rockers rocker arms stud Mount full roller aluminum 1.6 ratio it 3/8 inch stud

there's more but that about covers it, other than the 40 over stock lt1 LT4 pistons. he says it's like 11.5 to 1 compression ratio.

Sounds fierce, It runs kinda crappy. He said put smaller injectors or retune it. Runs way to rich to drive. I bought it for the pedals the tranny and the surplus parts i could horde or sell. not how built the motor was...but dropping the whole shebang into the caprice as one unit sounds better than separating and pulling 2 sets of engine and transmissions. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 13, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 95 z28. help me with this engine..plz.

You can install a stock LT-1 camshaft or a LT4 HOT camshaft and change valve springs, or, change over to an aftermarket EFI system and let it learn by itself.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 13, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
You can install a stock LT-1 camshaft or a LT4 HOT camshaft and change valve springs, or, change over to an aftermarket EFI system and let it learn by itself.

With the lt4 HOT cam, what valve springs are recommended? would that be all that's needed? the aftermarket efi would fix the tuning issue, but i can't see it being that much more streetable.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 13, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
nope

A few people have said to switch to an ez efi setup in my donor car. They also say the motor would be streetable with the cam and other parts, just using one of the ez kits. Are they right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode