Store bought prepped rear vs. salvage yard rear: - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Store bought prepped rear vs. salvage yard rear:

Discuss, contrast and compare the relative advantages and disadvantages and strength differences if any between buying a fully prepped, 100% bolt-in 12 bolt from moser or other vendors:

http://www.moserengineering.com/comp...figurator.html

Base price is $1925, but after you scroll thru the options (in some cases can't use the stock brakes) it goes up to about let's say $2500

VS.

Going the the junkyard and getting a 10 or 12 bolt out of a 1/2 ton truck for $65 drum to drum. Yes, it's possible here. And if the wheels stick out, putting flares over them, which i think actually looks cool if done right. This will, however, very probably ruin the re-sale value of the car, so we should maybe factor that in.

To focus in, the car in question either has a 7.5" 10 bolt or no rear at all. In cases where the car already has a 10 or 12 bolt it would probably most economical to work with the existing rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Store bought prepped rear vs. salvage yard rear:

The 12 bolt trucks are very diffrent, too wide 5" bolt pattern diffrent gears, wrong mounts. So now you need tubes, axles, brakes bearing, and limited brakes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
The 12 bolt trucks are very diffrent, too wide 5" bolt pattern diffrent gears, wrong mounts. So now you need tubes, axles, brakes bearing, and limited brakes.
Well, i'm thinking i would run 5x5 bolt pattern wheels and as far as the mounts i would weld my own on and actually i was considering running ladder bars anyways so i would have to weld new mounts on regardless. i'm thinking this would still be much cheaper than the shop assembled rear.

Admittedly if i did got with the bolt in unit then i would just stick with the stock suspension---if camaro/nova i would stick with leafs and if montecarlo then the stock 4 link.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech

the truck 12 bolts are weaker, too.. something about the pinion gear, i think? or maybe a bearing is smaller..

be better off to just find an 8.5 and go with that- it was good enough for GM to replace the 12 bolt in every application from Novas to 1/2 ton trucks in the mid 70's, and i think they still use an upgraded version of it to this day behind some pretty impressive engines in the 1/2 ton trucks and vans..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

or maybe even a Ford 8.8.. they are almost an exact copy of a 12 bolt right down to the ring gear size and some of the bearings used, and you will get probably get disc brakes if you get one out of an Explorer.. one from a Mustang almost bolts into a G body and can be adapted to other 4 link GM cars with a little work.. the wheel bolt pattern is smaller and they have 1/2" studs, but that's stuff that's easy to fix with either different wheels and lug nuts or a simple redrilling job at a local machine shop..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

If you are going to a junk yard to get a rear just get a 9 inch...Ford made millions of them, look for a 70's or 80's truck. Cut the axle tubes down. I haven't gone boneyard hunting in a long time, but in the '90s I cut probably a dozen out of old F-150 trucks...the most I think I ever paid for one was 100 bucks, sometimes a 50 would get it. The 9 inch rears in Lincolns usually had disc brakes too.

You can also find some of the 70's style Trans Ams in junk yards, they have the big 10 bolt with a posi and disc brakes too. I think all of them came like that, but not sure.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
the truck 12 bolts are weaker, too.. something about the pinion gear, i think? or maybe a bearing is smaller..

be better off to just find an 8.5 and go with that- it was good enough for GM to replace the 12 bolt in every application from Novas to 1/2 ton trucks in the mid 70's, and i think they still use an upgraded version of it to this day behind some pretty impressive engines in the 1/2 ton trucks and vans..
I think it's both the bearing is smaller and the pinion is smaller. Maybe Freddie will stop by.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 05:25 PM
Banned
Chet

The Moser and Strange pieces are far superior to any factory piece. To do all the things to a junkyard rear end to try and make it the equal in strength to the Moser or Strange would cost the same or more than what they charge for a full custom piece. Read the specs and features again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode