LS power steering pump... - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question LS power steering pump...

I'm trying to remove the power steering pressure hard line from the top of the PS pump on my LS2.
I backed off the flare nut and the line is loose as can be but it won't come out. Is there something I need to release to get the line out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: LS power steering pump...

Return or supply? If it's the return, it may be one of the hard lines that have the clip in the side of the nut that you can depress and pull the line out. My returns were just hose clamp type lines. The supply was just a standard nut that held the hose on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hmmm..
It's the hard line... the other is just a rubber hose coming from the reservoir.
The nut came off just fine... but the hard line is still stuck inside. It's very loose and wiggles but won't come out. Hope I don't break something pulling it out.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Pretty sure there's an o-ring in there (the new fitting on the back of my pump is an o-ring inverted flare fitting. Not sure why it won't come out, but as long as you're pulling straight back on it, you shouldn't be able to hurt anything that I'm aware of. Is there a bigger nut around the one you already pulled that would back the whole fitting out of the pump?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Guess

No...
The line is just floating in the pump. I can see inside the pump.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Have you tried to give it a hard pull yet, or are you being a sissy about it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Guess

A sissy doesn't have to buy a new PS pump.
A gorilla on the other hand....

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 11:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Can't really help you on that one, but I have been doing a lot of the pull and pray method on my LS engine recently. I fought with the dipstick tube, knock sensors and the cam sensor this week.

I would try wiggling, twisting and pulling straight up on it. You could try posting on LS1tech, but it's kind of hit or miss over there.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Can't really help you on that one, but I have been doing a lot of the pull and pray method on my LS engine recently. I fought with the dipstick tube, knock sensors and the cam sensor this week.
That was kinda what I was getting at- there's a lot of o-ring seals on these engines, and they're tighter than you would expect- even things like the oil pump pickup tube (which needs to be changed along with the oil pan), the steam tubes on the intake, crank/cam sensors, etc. Makes for less leaks, though!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Guess

The oil pickup tube was a snap really.
Nothing else is coming off the engine besides the PS fitting so that I can have a new line made that points the right way. It's plumbed straight down and to the passenger side in the GTO. The steam tubing is already plumbed, as is the vacuum from the intake for various things like PB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode