Name that Lightbulb - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Name that Lightbulb

I have a house that dates about 1920 and this past weekend was digging out some flower beds near the driveway. I found this automotive bulb buried in the dirt. While I'm only short about two decades of full automotive production possibilities, the lens on this bulb appears to be plastic. So that helps to suggest the era at hand. Anyone ever seen this lightbulb and can identify the car it came from? I don't think it's recent. I also think that the ribbing that is molded into the lens as ornamentation was meant to be seen, so that might offer a clue on what it was for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	33912  

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 06:40 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Name that Lightbulb

Are you sure its automotive? With out a reference scale hard to tell but thinking flashlight/lantern bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: Name that Lightbulb

If the globe is plastic as you stated then I'd doubt it is a common low voltage incandescent type bulb, like found in lanterns and flashlights.

Best guess is it's a Neon type, often found in older stereos and other items to light up the dial/displays.
I have replaced a few of them and they usually have those side flutes to help distribute the output more evenly across the area.
Most found in older foreign electronics are a smaller (9mm?) bayonet base ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 08:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Brian, I have some new "energy saving bulbs" in the house following a home energy audit. I am thinking about burrying them in the dirt. What kind of dirt works best?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Brian, I have some new "energy saving bulbs" in the house following a home energy audit. I am thinking about burrying them in the dirt. What kind of dirt works best?
Tom, pardon my answering for Brian. I find that a good thick adobe clay works best. Unlike other bulbs in the garden, these should be planted at a depth of 8"-10" to keep them from finding daylight at anytime in the next 50 years. Good luck.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 09:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69zee View Post
Tom, pardon my answering for Brian. I find that a good thick adobe clay works best. Unlike other bulbs in the garden, these should be planted at a depth of 8"-10" to keep them from finding daylight at anytime in the next 50 years. Good luck.
Hahaha! Thanks.

-
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Unhappy Re: Name that Lightbulb

I've got a whole house full of the fancy new 'Eye-Straining' bulbs
Never needed glasses to read until we had to start buying these POS's
The 'old/BAD' bulbs are a thing of the past in Granolafornia

Luckily, I know someone that makes numerous trips to Texas every year - he even seems to have room to bring lots of stuff like this back
Just like my friend that's brings me freon from 'somewhere' south ... Although I'm now down to one vehicle that still needs the good stuff

Oh, and I would recommend a good Sandy-Loam for the best bulb propagation

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 12:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
I thought so too but sylvania sells the old 100 watt bulb with a halogen build welded to the filament stock beneath the old glass globe. Best of both worlds.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 12:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My biggest gripe is when I walk into a dark room and turn on the light expecting it to brighten, as it has for the past oh, the past 100 years(!), now I have to wait for the bulbs to fade up.

-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I went LED white and bright but big $$$ for them. I got tired of the CF bulbs burning out every 6 months.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: Name that Lightbulb

BTW - no one still has actually named this bulb yet
Soooo - I'm naming it "Electra"

Just send the Baby Shower gifts to my house, I'll forward them

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Electra! What a pretty name for a lightbulb! Congratulations John!

-
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Hey guys sorry I've been away. Glad this post has provided some laughs. It seems automotive to me based on the two lugs at the bottom that are automotive style but the theory of it being a lantern battery is plausible. This bulb isn't too much larger than a quarter. I thought about including a quarter in the picture but didn't have one. (I own a Camaro)

My soil is a mix of topsoil, yellow clay, and fragments of bituminous coal. In the 1800s this area was strip mined. I find it very convenient for lightbulb burials as well as anything else ya need to bury quick

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode