200 F-150 4.2 oil filter housing gasket - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

200 F-150 4.2 oil filter housing gasket

My brother owns this truck , not me, honestly. The truck has developed a coolant leak near the oil filter housing. I know the housing has a coolant passage way so I think that the mounting gasket is blown. I have replaced this gasket on a few V-8 trucks with no problem. The problem I have with this truck is no one sells the gasket. Ford says you have to replace the timing chain cover to get the gasket for $379.00 bucks. I tried to just get the timing chain gaskets with no luck as well. My question is does any one know if I really need to replace the cover, or does any one sell the gasket without the cover. Any help would be great, this Ford on my lift is reducing my property value.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 13, 03:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: 200 F-150 4.2 oil filter housing gasket

Keith,

Read this forum postings. They also list a New Gasket Kit that is very cheap from Ford.

From that forum:
The modified gasket kit is Part# XU2Z6020AA. It came with 4 studs -- 3 brass and one steel(?), 3 nuts, the water-pump gasket and timing cover gasket. It also came with a several page instruction booklet which is actually pretty good.

https://www.google.com/#q=ford+Part%23+XU2Z6020AA

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/41...over-leak.html

Kev
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 13, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thanks man that is what I was looking for.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 13, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Kevin, I did the cover gasket this weekend. It sucked. I replaced the water pump, and oil pump too. After she smoke cleared that leak was fixed, but a second developed. The steel nipple pressed into the intake for the heater hose rusted from the inside out and started leaking too. Had to take the upper and lower intake off to drive a new nipple in. Fords really suck, but this truck does have 253K miles on it without any maintance. Thanks for the help, now back to the 67 Camaro resto mod that I am actually getting paid to work on.

X-77 keith
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 13, 05:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Keith...
Bet you are glad that it over with I have a 2005 F150 Fx4 that has the 5.4 Triton 3 valve engine. It now has 97,000 miles and I hope to get to the same amount of miles before any tear-down !

Kev
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 13, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yes I am glad it is done. I cringed every time my phone rang thinking it was broken again. No call on the truck yet. I think yours is the type that they say to take the cab off to remove and replace the engine isn't it?

X-77 keith
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 04:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Yep...disposable engine I changed the plugs at 50,000 miles myself and it wasn't fun. With the problem of the plugs breaking off in the head , it makes that job a scary at best. Now its time to change them again, even though the factory states every 100,000 miles to change the plugs. The 50,000 interval will give the best chance at not having a plug break off. I am about ready to order the Matco BPR65 Spark Plug removal tool. Going to replace the plugs with the new one piece Champion # 7989 plugs !

Kev
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

I have a 2000 5.4 Supercrew. When I had to do the Plugs, I let a Dealership do in case they broke the Plugs ( they didn't).

I know that the 5.4 Intake is a plastic piece of junk - I just replaced that with a Dorman Aftermarket piece that really not much better than the Factory, although their Gasket design was better & it seemed like the Runners were a good design. The mileage has only gotten minimally better.

The Front Sway Bar Links are Garbage, but easy to replace.

Other than that the Truck is pretty good. I'm at 130,000 Miles. I will say this - Ford Dealerships give away their Oil Changes. One Dealership (they since stopped) was doing $9.99 Oil Changes. Another does the Premium Oil Change - ( Semi-Synthetic), Tire Rotation, Check & Fill all other fluids for $29.99. They have to use MotorCraft Oil & Filters. I can't do it myself that cheap!

T.C.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Sorry Double Post!

T.C
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have used the Dorman intakes too. The gasket is better. The few that I put on Explorers with V8 engines had a alternator relocate bracket. The bracket that came on the truck would not fit, nor would the Dorman bracket. Between the two I could fab up a bracket that fits.

X-77 keith
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 13, 03:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
I have a 2000 5.4 Supercrew. When I had to do the Plugs, I let a Dealership do in case they broke the Plugs ( they didn't).

I know that the 5.4 Intake is a plastic piece of junk - I just replaced that with a Dorman Aftermarket piece that really not much better than the Factory, although their Gasket design was better & it seemed like the Runners were a good design. The mileage has only gotten minimally better.

The Front Sway Bar Links are Garbage, but easy to replace.

Other than that the Truck is pretty good. I'm at 130,000 Miles. I will say this - Ford Dealerships give away their Oil Changes. One Dealership (they since stopped) was doing $9.99 Oil Changes. Another does the Premium Oil Change - ( Semi-Synthetic), Tire Rotation, Check & Fill all other fluids for $29.99. They have to use MotorCraft Oil & Filters. I can't do it myself that cheap!

T.C.
The plug problem started with the 2004 model Triton V8's and were corrected in the 2009 model. The dealer will charge a flat rate of $300 to $400 however have you sign a waver that if they break a spark plug its on your dime. Some were charged upwards of $3,000 to remove the heads etc.
The tool was designed to remove the broken plug..saving time and money. I plan on starting the job the night before with spraying Penetrating oil in the plug tubes and letting it sit overnight....going at it in the morning.

Kev
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 13, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The last few I did came out fine. Yes I sprayed PB Blaster on them the night before. What a dumb plug design.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode