BC/CC lifting again - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 14, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage
BC/CC lifting again

Guys, I am asking this for my son. I gave him a 1995 GMC Sierra GT Sport K1500 short box that had only 70,000 miles on it. I bought the truck new and he has had it for about the last 4 years. Unfortunately, the truck has seen two accidents requiring front bumper, grill, pass fender, and hood replacement. Both were while truck was parked and other auto's sliding on ice causing impact. Due to the age of truck, body shop and insurance received and installed parts from where ever. The truck is torch red and once again the clear coat is lifting/peeling off, then the base lifts down to the primer and finally after enough sun, the metal finally starts to show through. This has happened after three different body shops have taken a stab at painting the truck. The ruined paint generally starts along the top ridge of the front fenders, along edges of hood and then in random hood areas, edge of front grill and is now going up the A pillars on the front of the doors. We have ask the body shops what gives, and they all seem to not really want to be bothered with it or us. The truck now needs both cab corners replaced. Rust hole about the size of a quarter showing and the very bottom of the doors are starting to rust through. Not terrible, but needs correctly done with new metal. I know that you can't see the truck, but do you have any suggestions as to why it seems as though paint will not stay put on these truck body panels. This truck will be officially old (antique) this year and actually still looks like a truck more so than the new ones so no plans on getting rid of it, besides my son claims too many fond memories camping/boating/4-wheeling and Boy Scouting. The truck was affectionately given the name "The Beast" by the Scouts, and it is always a topic when I run into some of my Scout youth from days gone by. Any suggestions will be appreciated and I thank you.
J.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 14, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: BC/CC lifting again

J.R., Everything needs to be taken down to bare metal. Repairs made. Then prepped and painted with todays compatible products. Given the history of the vehicle I wouldn't try to blend anything.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

X2. Without seeing it, bare metal is always the safest solution. It really could be a lot of things, bad blending, improper surface prep, etc.... If the clear coat is breaking down easily, it can be because if blend work was done, then the clear is thin in most cases. One way to check to see if you could spray over it, find an are that already has metal showing, take a razor blade on a scraper, and see if you can literally razorblade the paint off in a sheet as wide as the blade. If you can, or if 50% or more of the width comes off pretty easily, then something went wrong when it was painted, and the paint is not bonding to the body, and absolutely do not paint over it. Strip it to metal.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

Thanks fellas. I pretty much suspected there could blended messes from one shop to the other. In your opinion, would you purchase aftermarket door shells or would it be best to cut out the small rust areas. These areas are just above the rocker panels about 2 inches up and near the very front of door. And I can also feel some flaking and roughness along the very bottom inside edge of the doors where they seem to be pinch welded and seam sealer applied?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 01:35 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

That is really a personal judgement call. If you are capable of repairing it, it is not a bad spot to repair. Since you can spray the interior of the panel to prevent rust from occurring again, repair isn't a bad choice. I would check the bottom of the door and see if the pinch is rusted out as well. If it is, then the repair is a bit tougher. Remaking the pinch is tedious. It could be that the flakiness that you are feeling is a rough sprayed edge from previous paint work. Then it becomes what is your time worth, and how long is it going to take you to repair it, versus how much is the door shell replacement. I would estimate between cutting grinding welding and body work, you will be in each door 4-8 hrs of labor plus materials.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 14, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Delamination was common in GM trucks in the 90's. Your description indicates a factory paint issue and why it's a recurring problem. Dodge trucks were also plagued by delams.
Repairs performed over factory paint with problems will continue to fail.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

Scott, In your opinion, would it be possible to repaint if completely stripped back to metal, primed and sprayed like previously mentioned? What FTF Automotive and allanjs referenced makes sense to me. I was concerned that some form of silicone had been applied to the metal somewhere and causing the issues.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudimo View Post
Scott, In your opinion, would it be possible to repaint if completely stripped back to metal, primed and sprayed like previously mentioned? What FTF Automotive and allanjs referenced makes sense to me. I was concerned that some form of silicone had been applied to the metal somewhere and causing the issues.
Yes, it's the only way to ensure a lasting repair. Paint failure was due to system failure, not silicone. We did factory recall delams for Acura weekly in the 90's, which indicates problems in the industry hit different manufacturers.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode