2007 Silverado issue - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

2007 Silverado issue

How's it going fellas? I bought a used 2007 Silverado Z71 4X4 with 54000 miles September 2012. Since then the truck has left me stranded 8 times. Battery is always completely dead each time. The first time was in my driveway about 2 days after we brought it home from our local Chevy dealer. Great, new vehicle with all the bells and whistles, my first real high tech automobile. I jumped it with my wife's car and went on with my business. For the next few months, no issues, started up perfect until one fine December morning, completely dead. I jump it again and take it to the dealer. Dealer said battery was dead and installed a new one. Cool. Went on my way. A few months later the same thing, jump it and good to go until a few months later same thing. 8 times in less then 2 years.

I'm not too savvy on all the gizmos that come on these trucks these days but I have noticed from time to time the buttons on the radio stick in the IN position, with several buttons sticking sometimes at the same time. My wife loves to blast the radio and play CD's, and whenever this dead battery deal creeps up it is always after her and my granddaughter have used the truck. I didn't realize the buttons were sticking until I wanted to play a disc of my own one day, there was a disc stuck in the player and the eject button was stuck IN. I think what happened was, someone, prior to me buying the truck, used some Armour All or something like that to polish up the dash and now the buttons stick. So now I have to check each button to make sure none are stuck 'IN' before I walk away from the truck. I told my wife to not mess with the radio until I can get a handle on the problem. There is one button that can be pushed in that doesn't function at all. I can adjust the month and the year but not the day. Could this be the problem? Something else that is odd too is when I jump the battery and get the truck started I'll go right to adjusting the time and date on the radio, I can turn the radio on but the volume doesn't work until I turn off the truck. Once I restart the truck and turn the radio back on I can turn the volume up or down.

I can't figure it out. The truck works fine and starts on any given day until one day when I really need it, it's dead, completely. There isn't even the littlest spark coming from the cables when I touch them together. We have only put 6000 miles on this thing since we got it. I thought maybe the battery just gets low because we don't use it, but it sat for almost the whole winter this year and when I needed it it would start. Today, I needed it and it was dead, completely. Anybody ever have this issue? I find it very strange that I can use this thing for a week, or a few months with no problems and on that odd day, it leaves me stranded. Any idea? I have plans to take it to the dealer but the first time it happened they couldn't find a thing wrong then. Does everything electric on these vehicles go thru the computer or managed by the computer? I wouldn't think the radio is but what is killing the battery? This is a strange truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 07:32 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Re: 2007 Silverado issue

This might help on my 2007 Trailblazer sometimes when I parked it and would start to exit vehicle I would notice the a/c fan was still blowing. This started happening more often and if I did not notice it would run the battery down. I had to replace the blower module and blower fan to cure problem. Next time you use the truck when you park it turn off the radio and listen if anything is still running, I know most the time the radio is cranked up and you will not hear the fan running so turn it off first before opening the door and listen for a fan noise. Even with a/c turned off the fan would be running after the truck was turned off.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by realz69 View Post
This might help on my 2007 Trailblazer sometimes when I parked it and would start to exit vehicle I would notice the a/c fan was still blowing. This started happening more often and if I did not notice it would run the battery down. I had to replace the blower module and blower fan to cure problem. Next time you use the truck when you park it turn off the radio and listen if anything is still running, I know most the time the radio is cranked up and you will not hear the fan running so turn it off first before opening the door and listen for a fan noise. Even with a/c turned off the fan would be running after the truck was turned off.
Thanks Dan, I'll give that a listen. I got it jump started tonight, again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will start in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 05:12 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Anyone ever check your alternator output sitting AND under load??
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

If you know someone with a code scanner you might have them check it out, I am pretty sure that there are things that can go wrong and store a code but not throw a warning light.

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

There's a TSB for the body control module on the Tahoe. From the looks of this video it sounds like it might affect the Silverado as well but there's no mention.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

If the radio is anything like my 2008 I had, it's really easy to remove or unplug it.
Just pull the bezel off and take out the screws and unplug the connector.

If you leave the radio unplugged for a while and it doesn't happen again, it would indicate that maybe that is your issue.

If the radio's are the same, I have the stock radio from my 2008 and you can have it if you want it. Just PM me.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1999 Camaro SS

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I had the same issue with my Silverado. Come to find out it was caused by a slow drain because the trailer hook up was corroded. Good Luck.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Damn...I had to ask. Thanks guys. A load of things to consider. My truck comes with some weird charging system, don't know what it's call but it is an option. I think it, the alternator, only charges when it's needed and then shuts off. It's on the window sticker. Initially when I took it in to the dealer and they said the battery was dead the tech told me he didn't find anything wrong. Must be something really obscure. It does have the trailer package but I haven't even used it. I was thinking slow drain too, but why would it be fine for months at a time, or when I don't drive it for a few weeks and it still starts up? It's definitely random. I can jump it, turn it off immediately and let it sit for a few hours or overnight and it will start like there was no issue. Every battery I've ever owned, when it's dead, it's dead and needs to be driven to charge it back up or put on a charge overnight. Not this one. Almost seems like it has an automatic cut off switch. Still weird in any case.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Almost sounds like a starter issue, loose wire, bad relay or possible a bad or loose wire in an actual ingnition switch.

Guy at work had simular issues, thought it was battery, would always jump, we got tired of messing with it and started to fiddle around, ended up he had a loose wire on starter, sometime would get enough contact to start and be good to go then on odd days act like it was dead, sometimes jumping just seems enough to branch contact again it would start and be fine for awhile again.

Not sure if it's your issue, but seems pretty close to what he was dealing with.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Got up this morning and the battery was completely dead.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 14, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Of course, in dash voltmeter always reads correctly?
Since trailer Towing Pkg installed, is there a tray for the trailer battery?
If TTP installed, is there a battery installed?
On the main battery tray, is there a temperature sensor touching the bottom of the main battery?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 14, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Of course, in dash voltmeter always reads correctly?
Since trailer Towing Pkg installed, is there a tray for the trailer battery?
If TTP installed, is there a battery installed?
On the main battery tray, is there a temperature sensor touching the bottom of the main battery?

When I first realized there was a problem the volt meter was not always reading steady, it was fluctuating back and forth over and under 14 volts. When the dealer installed the new battery I had asked the tech what was happening and he assured me everything was fine with the alternator and this was normal while the battery is charging???Once the battery is charged then the needle settles around 14 or so and the alternator shuts off until needed. So...I'm assuming that is reading fine.

No second battery and I can't tell if there is a temp sensor on the battery there. Window sticker says Towing Package: HD Trailering Equipment and Locking Rear Differential. So I don't know much about that except for a push button on the gear selector handle.

I jump started the truck at 3 this morning and let run for a bit. I turned off all the switches for ALL lights, turned off remote start, forward lighting, bed lighting, dome lighting is off too. It started at 1 pm this afternoon and started back up 2 more additional times afterwards when I went to see my allergist and to the store. Just checked it again at 7 PM and still OK. I'll leave it this way for a while to see what happens then I'll start switching things back to factory settings one at a time.

I do have a driver front tire that keeps leaking down and the tire sensor tells me the tire is low when I turn on the key switch but the dealer said that wouldn't cause it.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

From the window sticker, RPO code for the TTP & alternator?
Charging system may be doing this variable charge rate to decrease the charge time - like a pulsed heavy charge rate rather than a steady charge rate - charge 16 volts rather than 14.5 volts thereby taking less time.

My '88 TTP, eons older than yours, has a trailer battery on a second tray in the eng compartment with solenoid for reg charge as in main battery and then if trlr/slide-in camper is equipped with a battery, these three batteries get charged at the same time from a 105 amp CS130 alt. Just another parallel load for the electrical system.

I would assume there is a separate plug on alt from the BCM, Body Control Module, controlling the alt charge cycle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Gary, I have a 2007 GMC sierra that sounds like it is close to the same truck you have. My truck has too many creature comforts too. Every day I am finding some thing new about the truck. My truck has the trailer package too. When my truck was about four months old it did the same as you are describing. The first time it did it I jumped it and took it to the dealer. They found nothing wrong. About a month later it did it again. I was not so nice then and had it towed to the dealer even though I have my own shop and tow truck. They found nothing. I told them that the volt gauge was doing weird things, but they didn't seem to care what I was saying. About three months later it did it again. They asked me to jump it and bring it back in. Well I guess you know how well that went. They towed it again. I then explained to them that they are up to bat and they had two strikes . On the third strike the truck would fall under the lemon law. They then knew I was not screwing around any more. They put a new alternator on the truck, and I have never had any problems since. Apparently the regulator had a short and was draining the battery. I guess me explaining that the volt gauge was acting strange was now a big clue to fixing it. These alternators are not cheep, but I would have yours checked. They are about the easiest one to remove in the world. Hope this helps.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode