2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 14, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

the code reader shows I have a "shift solenoid A malfunction".
I see several listed, but have no idea which one I need.
how do I determine which transmission I have to order the right part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 14, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: 2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

All the TrailBlazer/Envoy offerings used the 4L60-E model transmission - except for the SS option TrailBlazer (4L70-E) ...

The 'Solenoid A' is the low/1st mode activation for the trans - this signals the trans to engage low/1st when the TCM grounds this circuit.
The matrix for the two (A & B) solenoids is as follows;
Solenoid activated = Gear
A = 1st
A&B = 2nd
B = 3rd
None = 4th/Overdrive

The solenoids are supplied 12vdc by their feed wiring and then engaged by the TCM via grounding of the units - this ground signal is pulsed by the internal circuit to modulate the shift quality dependent on various data inputs from the ECM of engine load/dynamic.
If there is a problem you will usually feel a noticeable difference in the trans shift modes and qualities while driving.

So either your 'A' solenoid is
a.) stuck or there is dirt/debris in pintle/orifice
b.) not getting a modulated ground signal from TCM due to wiring or ???
c.) the coil has failed

The coils are pretty inexpensive, compared to other trans parts , and aren't to hard to replace - BUT ... be sure it's actually a failed solenoid causing the issue or you're wasting your time.
If the trans doesn't have a good service and maintenance history I would suggest a fluid & filter change before spending a lot of time and money chasing other things ...
While you're in there for the service you can check solenoid connections and for 12vdc feed - BUT, do not attempt to ground or activate the solenoids without a dummy load or you will take out the TCM!

Hope some of this helps.

ps: I have a 2003 TrailBlazer EXT with the 4.2/4L60-E and love that vehicle.
Approaching 200K and LOTS of hard use (towing, offroad, just fun bashing ...) and it is still hanging in there

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 14, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: 2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

thanks for the info.
there is nothing noticeable when it shifts. the check engine light came on one day and went off two days later. it stayed off for 3 weeks. then came back on sunday and went off Monday.
the car only has 60K miles on it and the transmission fluid is still bright red and has no burnt odor

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 14, 11:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: 2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

The TCM and ECM are "talking" about something they don't seem to 'think' is quite right.
You could pull 'Pending' code(s) with a scanner and see if there's a consistent issue, just not bad enough to set MIL yet ...
Could be a solenoid getting 'lazy' or some minor debris in system.
I would encourage a wiring once-over to be sure there are no 'iffy' connections or other damage from road debris or ???

If the trans hasn't been serviced in that 60K then I'd encourage you to do a flush, then drop pan and replace filter
These are great transmissions, but like good fluid and frequent (40~50K max) servicing to live long happy lives

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode