2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

as per my other post with the shift solenoid problem, I want to change the transmission fluid.
my question is what tool do I need to remove the transmission lines from the trans. cooler
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Erik

Re: 2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

Why do you want to take the trans lines out of the cooler? They are not hard to take out, the problem is getting them back in.

They have a little plastic piece that wraps around the line, I'm guessing to help prevent corrosion in this area. Slide that back, then they have a three sided spring clip in a groove, use a pick or small flat head to pop it out. And done.

Now to put it back in, the O-ring should be changed. I have pulled it out and not replaced the o-ring and regretted it due to leaks after breaking the seal. Then you have to put the line back in and reinstall the clip and hope you have it in the groove on the trans lines. I thought I had it in one time, turns out only two of the side sat right. Week later the wife called in a panic that smoke was coming from under the truck and it was shifting weird. Line popped half was out not allowing enough fluid to shift right and burning the fluid up on the exhaust.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

quote: Why do you want to take the trans lines out of the cooler?
to save $189.00 for a transmission flush
I want to drain all the fluid out

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Erik

Even with removing the quart of oil in the cooler, you still have 5-6 in the trans that will not come out without taking the trans apart. Others might disagree but I don't think its worth the extra headache.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

google transmission flush for 05 envoy. that will explain it better than I can.
my ? was what is the tool called I need to ask for so I can buy it to remove the lines
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
my ? was what is the tool called I need to ask for so I can buy it to remove the lines
A set of picks or small flat head is all you need. But I would suggest getting a set of O-rings for the lines you pull off.

Not sure if it will work on the (I'm assuming) 4L60E, but with my Duramax, (after I did a normal fluid change) I pulled the lines off the side of the trans. Ran the return line into a bucket and the feed line into a gallon of new fluid. Start the truck up and let it push most of the old fluid out of the trans, toque convertor and cooler.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 09:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: 2005 envoy SLT 6 cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
As stated, you just need a 'pick' type of tool to remove/pull the retainer clip out of the fitting to release the fluid line.
You might want to pick up some new/spare O-rings also - they are #5 and you can find them at many auto parts or hardware stores.

Here is YouTube with the type of fittings you are dealing with, only on the rad. vs. the trans ...

It's not a hard job, but the 'messy' factor can get out of hand real fast - keep 'kitty-litter' handy

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode