2002 F450 Headlight problem - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 15, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

2002 F450 Headlight problem

I have in my shop a Ford F450 Super duty. The headlights work, high and low beam work as they should, turn signal, running , and brake lights all work. When the key is turned on , or truck running , I have no headlights. Everything works except the headlights. Turn the key off and the lights work fine. I have replaced the headlight switch, ignition switch , and checked every fuse. The switches were replaced with Ford parts. I pulled all the fuses and the lights started working as they should. They work for a few minuets and then shut off. Does the switch have some kind of relay? I can not find any relay in the book for the headlights. Anyone ever run into an issue like this?

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 2002 F450 Headlight problem

Sun sensor overruling?
Unplug one headlamp?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 15, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thanks Everett, The truck doesn't have a sun sensor. The headlight setup is old school. I will try to unplug one headlight, but I'm not sure what that would eliminate. I would think that the lights would have a harder time working with the engine off. At this point I will try almost anything. A Ford dealership in Richmond threw their hands up on the job, thus I now have the problem child. Thanks for any ideas. You think it could be in the turn signal / high low switch ? They work only with the key on.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 15, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Two different bulbs? I know in my Expedition and my 05 F350 if I put two different bulbs in with the key on, neither work. Sounds ridiculous I know, but try a "matched" set of bulbs and see what happens. I think when I discovered it I had a Sylvania Silverstar bulb in one side and tried plugging my original bulb in until I picked up a replacement. The system might be "smart" enough to sense different wattages.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D (8/22/1969) M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 15, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

There is something to say about headlamps not working with engine not running.
If you think about it, most cars have auto lights, hence the sun sensor, or common wiring if ign is off, lights, or at least headlamps go off - BCM function, maybe?

Headlamps may not come on if parking brake is set.
i suggested unhooking one bulb fr less current drawn as maybe it may be per side problem.
Also, could be a DRL problem...?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 15, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thanks Dave and Everett. I am going to call the owner tonight and see if the bulbs have been changed any time recently. Would be nice if it is that easy.

I have a second new headlight switch on the way. This truck is real simple. No options other than power windows, AC and a real big turbo diesel. No daytime running lights, no fog or driving lights, just your regular head , tail, rear fender markers, and roof clearance lights. The truck was even third brake light delete. I will be pulling bulbs today. Thanks guys.

X-77 keith
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 15, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Engine off, key off, lights work fine?
Engine off, key on IGN, lights work fine?
Engine running, all lights works, no headlamps?
Does it have headlamps when lights off, but pull back on stick as in turn on high beams signaling to pass?

'
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 15, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Engine off/ key in off position lights work fine.

engine off and key on, no headlights. Parking lights and marker lights all work correctly.

engine running/ key in run position all works except headlights.

Flash to pass works only with the key off/ engine not running. Turn the key on the flash to pass "headlights " go out.

Removed headlight bulbs one at a time with no change in issue.

I don't have much more grey hair to pull out. I hate just throwing parts at a problem.

My second new headlight switch should be in on Friday. I don't want to just change the turn signal switch, but will if the headlight switch doesn't fix it. thanks for the ideas.

X-77 keith
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 15, 11:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Try wiggling the wire loom routed up the steering column to the turn signal switch - I've found several bad connections in them before. You can jump the circuits at the connectors to test also.

Have also found bad connections at fuse and relay boxes - try giving each a few jolts with your hand and see if lights come-on/flash ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 15, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Is there an online service manual?
I would think, light switch and ign sw have their separate power leads.
If headlamps have their own relay(s), either relay control power is wired the wrong way through ign sw or relay socket miswired.
Wonder what history has shown in earlier repair?
What has happened to the truck to bring it to this problem?
I would think turn signal switch would have nothing to do with headlamps.
Just thinking out loud.

'
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 15, 10:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

IIRC - almost every late-90's/early-2000's Furd truck that uses the steering column mounted high-beam/flash-2-pass is wired through there ...

The routing is normally something like ... light power distribution (fused) - to the headlight switch - to steering mounted multi-function switch - to headlight relay box (separate fuses and relay for each function) - to lights ...

I've personally had more issues with the steering switch and wiring than any other area of these systems on our 'farm' trucks. And ... since I'm seldom trying to 'pass' anyone on Texas back roads with a loaded truck ... I've bypassed more than one of them in the past

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode