Car hauler question - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Car hauler question

I have a problem getting the bill of sale from previous owner for my trailer. How can I register it the legal way. I went and bought the car and a trailer from a guy in TN. He didn't want to sell me his trailer so we went to look at the place where he had bought his, the guy remembered him. They didn't have one like I wanted which was like his. So I purchased his from him for the price of a new one. I payed him for the car and the trailer then I left and Forgot to get the bill of sale. I've tried to get a hold of him for 6 months now but he always says "yeah I'll get that to you as soon as I can". Well he hasn't and won't answer my calls now. So..... I go to dmv and tell them I can't get him to give me a bill of sale. They tell me that I have to get a bill of sale. Well..... What the heck am I supposed to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:23 PM
Team Member
Ty

Re: Car hauler question

I am basically talking to myself out loud, but what about putting a lien on the trailer and then you can get it all back in your name.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Really how would that work I wonder? So your saying taking a loan out against the trailer. It still would need to have a sales receipt I'm guessing to prove it was mine. I've talked to a few people about sending him in the mail a copy of a bill of sale for him to sign,I still don't think he would send it back if he did it would prob take him forever. I've talked to some people to that have said to put my own vin on it and register it as a home built but I really want to be legal about this. If I have to that's what I'll do but I really want another way.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

No clue what the rules are in MS but it sounds like this will be a PIA.

Do you have a title? In PA all I need is a signed title and I'm good to go usually, never a bill of sale. I guess some states don't do titles for trailers?

Basically your going to have to stalk they guy and get what you need, go to him. Or, your going to have to go after him legally. As soon as you do that you should scrap the trailer and go get a new one. Use your scrap metal money towards a new one. You'll spend more in legal fees than what the trailer is worth.

There are several things I could do in PA like lost title or abandoned vehicle. You should really ask the DMV in MS what your options are.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Yeah I'll go back and ask them again about the lost title or abandoned idea. I talked to them and told them exactly what I told you guys and they said you need a bill of sale. I told them I've tried and he won't answer me anymore. They said well sorry. I have a lawyer on tap and have asked her what to do and she was kinda stumped too. I just thought maybe someone had the same experience. There is no title but I do know the place where the guy bought it and there number is on the trailer.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69&76 View Post
I am basically talking to myself out loud, but what about putting a lien on the trailer and then you can get it all back in your name.
I don't think you can put a lien on something you don't legally own.

2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty8-camaro View Post
Yeah I'll go back and ask them again about the lost title or abandoned idea. I talked to them and told them exactly what I told you guys and they said you need a bill of sale. I told them I've tried and he won't answer me anymore. They said well sorry. I have a lawyer on tap and have asked her what to do and she was kinda stumped too. I just thought maybe someone had the same experience. There is no title but I do know the place where the guy bought it and there number is on the trailer.

Does MS issue titles or is everything literally a hand written bill of sale? Basically the state just needs 'note' saying its your trailer and shows what you paid? Gotta make sure they get their tax, right.

If MS doesn't issue titles I don't know what you would do. Worst part is he could probably call the cops and report it stolen and your the one that will have all the explaining to do.

2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 06:08 PM
John

Garage

I was missing a bill of sale once. Here they don't need to be notarized and hand written is fine.

The DMV agent with a wink said "I think you left the Bill of Sale in your car"

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
Does MS issue titles or is everything literally a hand written bill of sale? Basically the state just needs 'note' saying its your trailer and shows what you paid? Gotta make sure they get their tax, right.

If MS doesn't issue titles I don't know what you would do. Worst part is he could probably call the cops and report it stolen and your the one that will have all the explaining to do.
I'm not worried about him saying I stole it. I can prove I bought it from him because he was also the one to sell me the car, also a few other things. I can also show the texts that we sent back and forth. I've got proof. I don't mind paying all the tax they want lol as long as I can get it in name. Also yeah doesn't need title just bill of sale.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I was missing a bill of sale once. Here they don't need to be notarized and hand written is fine.

As of NOW I just got him to respond! Thank god! He said he is going to send me one via fed ex or the postal service. Man I really hope he pulls threw this time.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
He said he is going to send me one via fed ex or the postal service.
I hope it is FedEx. USPS you never know where it will end up.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
I hope it is FedEx. USPS you never know where it will end up.
Lol. Yeah that's funny. I just hope it's at all lol. The postal lady set a box on top of my camaro and I called the post office and now she won't drop off hardly any packages of any kind to my door step. Now she lays on the horn until I come out side, crazy I know. That's another story. I was wanting to buy a winch and some new tires for the trailer for cruising the coast. I have some things like new tow straps I want to buy but was waiting on the guy to mail something. It's coming up soon and I'm running out of time. That's the reason for the desperate post lol. If I couldn't get a tag in time I was going to have to cross some fingers and drive that bad boy down there. I just figured there was no way I was the only one that has ever had this prob.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post

Same here, but I guess you have to spell it out for him. Type up your own bill of sale "I blank transfer ownership of blank on blank date to blank for blank dollars" and fill in the blanks yourself.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

I bought a small 5x10 trailer probably around 2007. I have not registered the trailer to this day. I figured the company I bought the trailer from would have contacted me. I used to use it alot but now it just sits. I had three trailer tags at one time, I think I have two left. If I can find the paper work I will get it registered but if DMV gives me a hard time the heck with it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 15, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Same here, but I guess you have to spell it out for him. Type up your own bill of sale "I blank transfer ownership of blank on blank date to blank for blank dollars" and fill in the blanks yourself.
Well I know what he said but remember I said legally. Signing his name is forgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode