New dailer driver - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 16, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage
New dailer driver

Hi all. I just picked up an '08 Trailblazer LT with the 5.3 Vortec M-code LH6 LS engine. It's a high option vehicle with most if not all the options including nav and trailering package. Black and silver two tone it's a looker and I'm the 2nd owner.
It came with all the owner's manuals and original owner claims it was very well maintained.
Aside from the usual needs like new tires, brakes, fluids, etc. what should I be looking into having done seeing it's got 111K miles.
I've seen the horror stories on the web about oil consumption and the usual disenchanted owners complaining about this version LS motor. While others have praised it's performance and reliability if well maintained.
Have any of you had experiences with the 5.3 that you can share? Does the COD (cylinder on demand)really work well or was it a GM folly?
Any thoughts?

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 16, 05:32 AM
John

Garage
Re: New dailer driver

The 5.3 is a proven engine and the DOD does work very well. 111k is nothing on it.

If anything I'd have the tranny serviced.

Nice ride congrats
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 16, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Thanks John!

Coming from you, that's encouraging.

I'll have that tranny looked at soon. I've noticed the 1st to 2nd gear change a bit abrupt. Could be normal from what I've read online.

I've noticed a few screw holes on the top of the engine that seem like they may be there to hold a cover in place. With all the wires and piping associated with this engine it appears like it should have had one of those neat smooth covers. The pervious owner says no cover on these.

Do you know if the aftermarket offers them?

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 16, 06:17 AM
John

Garage

This is what I see

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_chevrolet_trailblazer_engine.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	159794
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 16, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage
Re: New daily driver

Nice pic John, but that's the straight 6 cylinder.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 16, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

The missing engine cover looks very similar to the 6.0 TBSS cover, only the emblems on it are of course different.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 16, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Update to missing engine cover; After posting on the TrailVoy site I've learned that the Trailblazer with a 5.3 did not receive the engine cover. Apparently only the 6.0 SS and the Saab versions got the cover. A similar cover was supplied with the 5.3 in the Silverado and other full size trucks but will not fit the Trailblazer due to the firewall placement.
So, case closed on the engine cover.
Still loving my new daily driver.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 16, 06:04 AM
John

Garage

Side Note

My buddy's 2008 TB SS was Stolen last week from a parking lot. He had a useless club steering wheel lock on it. Lol

Good news is the cops recovered it a few days later with only the aftermarket nav system removed.

The crooks punched out the door lock and smashed the ignition switch on the column to steal it. Total repair cost approx $2k as the door was not damaged when the lock was punched out.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 16, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Yeah, I never used to worry about the old 2000 Blazer getting stolen. Most of the time I would leave the keys in it. lol.

Although the SS is a sweet truck. My budget and the fuel mileage was a factor is my decision. After looking for almost two months, and to my surprise, this TB had the rare V8 option that boasts the same mileage as the straight six.

I'm real happy with it so far. It's got that sweet rumble that provides lot's of giddy up, good mileage, more space that the old Blazer and all the bells and whistles to keep it interesting.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 16, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I've got an ol 2002 Trailblazer LT with the straight six, great motor, not much experience with larger motor, however, the issues I've had will translate to the rest of the vehicle and not be based on motor. (I've currently have 240,000 miles on the motor, but some of these issues were there from day one.)

The 4 wheel drive switch was junk, the did redesign in 03, (I know cuz when my had problems they put the newer style in) however, it still has a mind of it's own sometimes, clicks and clatters, sometime engages on it's own.

Shorts in front headlights and rear lights.

And the biggest pain, that follows all GM truck/SUV's, power steering and tranny lines rusting through at the shock couplers/attaching points. I've had both the power steering and tranny lines rust through where they go through the holder. They hold moisture in these points and eventually rust. Not a big deal as not real expensive to replace but HUGE PIA to replace.

Other than that, it's been a great truck, plenty of pulling power (especially for 6 cylinder, I know yours would have even more), but we farm and I've pulled full grain wagons to town with it.

With all the miles on mine, the ol girl still fires right up, even though I do not use it as a daily driver anymore, I know she will always start even with the rest of vehicles won't and she still never uses any oil. Just a good ol dependable truck.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 16, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Hi Scott,

That's good information.

Yeah, my old '00 Blazer brakes line rusted thru. I had it replaced and it was inexpensive. The reason I got rid of it was because it was outside all it's 13 years with me and the body started to show some rust. The suspension was totally rusted and the underbody is showing some holes behind the rear wheel housings. It had the V6 that was based on that old Buick 4.3 (?) Man that engine was still going strong. Always reliable and always started first crank.

I have read about some of the TB problems and a lot of them seem to be with the earlier years. I know the previous owner did take very good care of mine, so I'm hoping this one will last.

I visited the TrailVoy web site, similar to ours here. Most guys there are saying their TBs have between 80 to close to 200K miles on them.

Daily drivers are such bad investments that I really think the only way to try and beat it is to get a Truck. I've been a Chevy guy all my life, and with my experience with my Chevy '80 van, a '99 pick up and then my old Blazer, I had to go with the TB.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode