Ford Stealership Rant - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jumpstart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
John

Garage
Ford Stealership Rant

As a business owner I fully understand overhead and profit. I don't understand blatant gouging.

Wifes 2010 Ford Escape has been smelling of gas for a while. She took it to the dealer for a steering recall notice and I said while your there have them check on the gas smell.

Charged her $70 for diagnosis which I'm ok with.

The fuel pump was leaking at the plastic nipple where the fuel line connects (all plastic) Told her she needed a new fuel pump. $450 for the pump, $20 for the O-ring and $180 labor. Told her they had to drop the tank etc.

I bought the pump online for $160 with free shipping. O-ring was included.

Turns out you don't have to drop the tank as you simply lift up on the rear pass seat bottom and there is a carpet flap with a plastic snap in panel to access the pump. 2 hose connectors and 2 electric plugs that pull off by hand and a lock ring that holds the pump in.

Total time to R&R the pump 15 mins.

Feel sorry for the folks that don't know any better.

btw The dealer also told her she needed another $1200 work to her car. Coolant Exchange, Fuel System Cleaning, Transmission fluid exchange and new front brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 04:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Ford Stealership Rant

Do you get to go double or nothing in Vegas?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

I feel your pain and that's why I never go to a dealer. I had to replace the fuel pump in my Escape and it was easy just like you said.

'68 RS

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 05:07 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I only go to a shop IF I have to !
I also know whats needed before going in. Most of the time Research

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 05:35 PM
Team Member
Don

A friend took his Toyota Land Cruiser to Kwik Lube to have the fluids changed - diff, transfer case, transmission etc. They did them all except one, which they said had to be done by the dealership. He took it to the dealer the next day and asked them to do the fluid change. The service advisor sent him a pic of some filthy differential fluid and said it should be changed too. Trouble was Kwik Lube changed it the day before. He took it back to Kwik Lube and they showed him the diff was full of clean fluid. The dealership ended up giving him a set of new front seat covers to keep him quiet. I would have gone to the police. It was the biggest Toyota dealership in the north Dallas area. Crooks to the core....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 16, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

My daily driver is a GM vehicle, leased by my employer, so it has to be dealer serviced. The GM dealership is opposite an Audi showroom, and both dealerships are owned by the same franchisee. I used to own an Audi, and found it amusing that the same mechanics work in both dealerships; I once saw a young guy cross the road, walk into the Audi workshop and switch his grimy GM overalls to a neat gray Audi uniform, then go and start work on a Q7 at double the hourly rate to the customer.
Anyway, once during a scheduled service on the Audi, they found the brake lights weren't working, and diagnosed a faulty electrical component as the cause - quoted me $1200 to replace a control module. I took the car away to check the basics, and found a blown 20amp blade fuse - a 20cent part - was the problem. Never took the Audi back there again.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 16, 06:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

I NEVER buy anything at a dealer. Well, I bought a new steering wheel for my '87 Chevy pickem up truck. Dealers have always have charged more for parts and labor than any other shop around.
I worked at a Ford dealership when they came out with the sealed carb about...1982? This carb had all the adjustments sealed off and it had to be taken to the dealer for work. Rip off pure and simple. Hell, the special tool set cost $300 back then!
You did good.
I always do research on the internet and Rock Auto when something happens to my Toyota work car. Hasn't failed me yet.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 16, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Only take my stuff to a dealer if its a warranty issue. We're all fortunate that we can work on our own stuff. Imagine the $ they make off people that can't or just don't know any better.
Moonpie likes this.

1969 X44, 355 SBC, BDS 6-71 blower, dual Eddy carbs, TCI Streetfighter TH350, 4000 stall, Denny's driveshaft, 10-bolt 8.5 rear w/4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H drag radials, 10 point cage
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 16, 07:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

No surprises here. While we were haggling with our local dealer last year when we bought my wife's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, they told us that they make more money in the service department than on new vehicle sales. Dealerships always have been and always will be crooks. They exist to make money, period.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 16, 07:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
No surprises here. While we were haggling with our local dealer last year when we bought my wife's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, they told us that they make more money in the service department than on new vehicle sales. Dealerships always have been and always will be crooks. They exist to make money, period.
My 2015 GC got a dealer oil change and the hood, bumper and right front fender damage. Looked like they dropped a wheel on it when doing the tire rotate. They damaged it and never said anything. I paid for the service and noticed this before I left luckily. They did fix it and gave me a few years of oil changes.

Only reason I take it to the dealer is for service to show up on car fax. That is not so important anymore.

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 16, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

You ought to try the Mercedes dealer John!!!!

Sherri's CL600 started having issues sticking in Park. Dealer wants $1500 plus to replace the shifter. There is one little plastic piece that goes bad (cracks and then breaks). Surprise, MB doesn't make or sell that part separate from the shifter assembly. You can't use a shifter from another car unless you have the STAR tool to reset the programing.

There is a guy on line who sells a brass version of the same plastic piece for about $10. Pulling the shifter and replacing takes about 2 hours start to finish.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode