Garage heat - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage heat

Anybody running indirect gas heat? My garage is insulated and pretty tight for a garage. I have been heating with electric as needed and its not as bad as it sounds. I have stayed away from blue flame because i didnt want to blow the place up when i was hacking on motorcycles. A couple guys at work are pitching me this.......

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 04:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Garage heat

I use a 20,000 btu ventless gas heater (blue flame) in my garage which is about 14x30 and 9' high. Works like a dream. If I'm going to paint or such, I just turn it off until I'm finished.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 04:31 AM
Team Member
Don

I avoid any kind of ventless gas heat because they produce large amounts of water vapor which can lead to surface rust on tools and cars. Go indirect/vented if possible.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I avoid any kind of ventless gas heat because they produce large amounts of water vapor which can lead to surface rust on tools and cars. Go indirect/vented if possible.

Don
I haven't had that to be a problem. My car has bare sandblasted metal and after at least 5 years it shows little if any rust. most notable is a handprint in light rust. I will say I don't run the heater often but have run it several weekends in a row.

Jeff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 05:43 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
I haven't had that to be a problem. My car has bare sandblasted metal and after at least 5 years it shows little if any rust. most notable is a handprint in light rust. I will say I don't run the heater often but have run it several weekends in a row.

Jeff
Probably ok for occasional use but I am in my shop every day. I also use it to dry out the air prior to painting. A direct vent unit would not be effective.

The humidity in Illinois is likely lower than Texas during the winter.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 07:13 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post

Jeff
Yeah Don that would be a problem where you live in Texas but up North in winter the relative humidity is single digits low teens for most of us so once the unit is off Mother Nature sucks the humidity out of the garage rather quickly.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

I run an Modine style unit. I think it's Mr.Heater or Heatilator. Anyway, it mounted to the ceiling and vented. Works well, 3 car with 10' ceiling.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:

Don
Humidity is not a problem if the unit is sized correctly. I run a unit in my basement constantly and the RH runs from 35 to 40%. I'd like to note that I don't paint in my garage for personal reasons and I've never had a problem with anything rusting!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 06:22 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknots View Post
Humidity is not a problem if the unit is sized correctly. I run a unit in my basement constantly and the RH runs from 35 to 40%. I'd like to note that I don't paint in my garage for personal reasons and I've never had a problem with anything rusting!
I have a full size commercial booth in my shop with proper filtering etc so no worries here about any personal concerns....

I can pretty much guarantee that a direct heater will cause high humidity issues in Texas. For example the current humidity here is 88%. Not sure it would be wise to dump even more humidity into my shop under those conditions...

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 05:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
I have a full size commercial booth in my shop with proper filtering etc so no worries here about any personal concerns....

I can pretty much guarantee that a direct heater will cause high humidity issues in Texas. For example the current humidity here is 88%. Not sure it would be wise to dump even more humidity into my shop under those conditions...

Don

I agree.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 06:52 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

If you want to use gas I would go with a Modine Hot Dawg, for electric I would get a single zone mini split. Either would do a great job.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode