Saturday morning rant - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Saturday morning rant

After a July 4th shopping spree netted me new diesel and gas cans from Tractor Supply this morning i discovered that it takes two people to refuel the lawn mower without copius amounts of profanity. After 20 minutes or so i had a nicely functioning gas can. I wonder how long it will take the black helicopters to show up after posting this....

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Saturday morning rant

What kind of mower?

Do you own a big (wide mouth short length fuel funnel (similar to that used to refuel Formula One cars in a mater of seconds)?

Is there enough room to utilize said funnel?

Have you considered installing a diesel tank with an electric fuel pump that uses a hose to fuel your mower or any other diesel powered vehicle you own?

Big Dave
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

did you place a tire valve/stem in the can so it can breathe when you pour
69-Pace likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Thats a great idea! No. I cut off the adult proof cap opening deterrant, removed the ring that alloes a single press prior to reset, collapsed the mechanism, an put a sheet metal screw in through the vent passage. The vent setup works ok.

The mower is a little pain in the butt Toro. I have little grass. The diesels for a john deere compact. T though about a tank and pump for it but when you only amass 500 hours in a little over 30 years its hardly worth it. I do have that funnel though. Makes it easier when i just take the cap off and dump it.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
I wonder how long it will take the black helicopters to show up after posting this....
I understand that Volvo will be making only electric mowers in the future to deter people from doing mods to their gas and diesel powered mowers. All because of people like you (and me).

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 11:42 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah Gerry-Cans have gotten ridicules with safety crap. I loved the old metal open and pour cans of my Grandfathers age, and the early transition to plastic cans were also stellar. Then the spouts became increasingly complicated, with push twist hold pull impossible directions that were more like asking me to do the hokey-poky in a thunderstorm dressed in aluminum foil and still can't get most to pour any fuel into the Jeep gas tank rain or shine.

The tire valve trick is genius and there are several great youtube videos on doing this mod. I also trod through lawn and garage sales looking for old Gerry-Cans.

Also you can buy ezpour in most states to replace the mandated safety crap that just doesn't work. The Official Site for EZ-POUR® Universal Gas & Water Can Spout | PRODUCTS

And if you live in one of those states listed where using any device defeating the safety fills is illegal, ezpour markets product for use with the same design but only colored blue water jugs. Got to love capitalism.
Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jul 8th, 17 at 04:27 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

So gas cans have gotten under US Gov't control?
I have plastic 5 gal containers with a fixed spout I bought from Home Depot.
Maybe I should keep those?
I always add the min recommended amount of Sta-Bil to each can before filling.
Never hurts.

Geez, just looked at HD site for gas cans and certainly is a different cap/spout. EPA & CARB approved - my dying azz ... and friggin expensive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Can.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	187329  

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 04:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Agree!! those new filler's a "FREAKING" terrible! I spill more on the ground than I get in the GD mower anymore.
I wonder how these are selling. I think I needs a few.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...622sbvld_b_p19
69-Pace likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 04:18 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Safety can How safe is it re-fueling a hot engine when you're spilling it everywhere ? Glad the Gooberment is looking out for my safety

I have about 6 cans of various sizes in the "old style" stashed away for safe keeping

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 04:34 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Never hurts.

Geez, just looked at HD site for gas cans and certainly is a different cap/spout. EPA & CARB approved - my dying azz ... and friggin expensive
Yeah keep what you got, and if you need to buy new, immediately toss supplied filler in the recycling bin and buy an ezpour or speed pour and a storage cap and call it done.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 04:49 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Saturday morning rant

Basically the safety features were two fold, prevent fumes from venting - pollution control so yeah we want the can to expand under pressure and temperature changes and blow up. Thanks I'll vent to the air thank you and sleep better. The second layer of control was to prevent easy drinking from the spout. LOL The can is so heavy that often a child wouldn't be able to lift the can to drink from it. Right.

This guys review of the ezpour filler storage caps had me on the floor rolling. The actual review is the last sentence but the trip to it is priceless. https://smile.amazon.com/Gas-Can-Cap...cm_rdp_product

Quote:
20 of 20 people found the following review helpful - 5.0 out of 5 stars

Do you like gasoline all over your driveway and equipment, August 30, 2016
By
Zip
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Gas Can Cap - Solid Base Replacement Gas Tank Cap (Coarse Thread) (Automotive)

I don't know what's up with those 'safety spouts' but they must have been a collaboration between Hitler and Judas to ensure I would spill the most amount of gas possible all over the place, while I'm refueling my snowblower at 4am with 2 ft in my driveway just trying to get my kids to school and wife and I to work on time. Do you like gasoline all over your driveway and equipment? No? Neither do I. That's why I live like a responsible adult with big boy gas can caps. I know it's amazing but after 16 years of public school education and a decade+ in the workforce I have discovered I'm able to fill a gas engine using a funnel without some piece of garbage, spring loaded, always stuck, 'safety locked' spout that leaks fuel all over me, my gear and my driveway. Without this cap my front yard looks like Valdez and Deepwater came over for a picnic and well one thing lead to another and I'm moments away from one of the Bush kids coming over and declaring they found Texas T. Safety spouts are literally the manifestation of big brother having an illegitimate child with the Illuminati behind the back of NSA and NSA finding out several years later and resenting the child but knowing its too late to turn back so just going with it until this gas cap came along and changed everything. It's a whole new world now!

So anyway, I put these caps on my gas cans and all was well in the world.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 05:46 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

After reading this now I know why my neighbor keeps trying to get me to sell him my old metal jerry cans
69-Pace likes this.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 09:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Never hurts.

Ain't the Fed great!

I only spill about half a gallon for every 3 that goes into my tank because I have to remove the stupid spout all together now

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 17, 05:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Haha the same thing happened to me last week after buying a new can for my methanol/water mix. BUT at the same time, I bought one of those overly expensive VP Race Fuel cans - best investment I have made in a long time! No safety crap - freeflows like a champ. Initially bought it to get fuel into my car for the first time - Worked soo good that the restoration shop went out and bought one. Now I am just looking for excuses to gas stuff up LOL
69-Pace likes this.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 17, 06:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I go on ebay and buy the old style gas cans.

This one is a favorite of mine. The spout pulls out and pushes back in. These tend not to leak.

Blitz 5 gallon red plastic Jeri gas can | eBay

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode