Found a new addiction - Drones! Who has em? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Found a new addiction - Drones! Who has em?

It all started as me buying my brother and nephew (his son) each one for xmas. And I don't mean the ones that go for $1500 we are talking Wal-mart. The one I got my nephew was $35(Sharper Image) and the one I got my brother was $150(Parrot FPV). I had previously charged both of them before I wrapped them so that they could fly right out of the box. The $35 one was a little sketchy to fly but the $150 one was a piece of cake and took video that recorder right to your cell phone! My brother started sending me videos of flying around the house both inside and outside and then the bug bit me. I wen to Wally-world and got a $68 drone that had a remote, took video and hooked to my cell phone. Was the coolest thing to be able to take video like that(which didn't look entirely too bad for how much I paid for it). Was really getting the hang of it when I started messing with my dog in the house - he had enough and jumped up on the couch and pawed it right out of the air messing up the gears in 3 motors. Lesson learned! Now I am researching getting another more professional version but not sure whether to go with a camera type or a racing drone. Any thoughts?

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 04:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Found a new addiction - Drones! Who has em?

A number of guys at work have them. Some are already closet dust collectors. One of the guys builds his own. He leaves 2 a work. One has the camera on top. Those things are a godsend in the high structures and the asrs systems when there is something you need to see but cant get to decently. Gotta shut down the evaporators though. Same thing with inspecting the exterior of the structures and the mechanicals there. I want one to look at my tree crown from the top but dont need another diversion.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 05:31 AM
John

Garage

I was looking at them but couldnít find the swap parts to put an LS engine in one

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

I have a DJI Mavic Pro and just getting to learn how to use it but it's a blast. It takes 4K video and great snapshots. I am looking forward to learning better how to configure the camera and flying it.
Mauimax3 likes this.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1999 Camaro SS

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 06:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I was looking at them but couldnít find the swap parts to put an LS engine in one

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 07:26 AM
Team Member
John

I have five RC Helicopters, and not the junk kind you buy at the mall or Walmart, four RC boats, and six RC trucks, but I recently broke down and bought a very nice drone. I love everything RC, but lately the money I would spend on helicopter parts, yes they crash, goes into my Camaro. Feels kind of weird....neglect one hobby for the other.

1969 Camaro

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

they are not welcome in this neck of the wood when invading others property. they are shot at or shot down depending I guess who does the shooting
DjD and pittpens24 like this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 02:30 PM
Team Member
Mike

Garage

I too have a Mavic Pro...its pretty sweet. Trips up north and out at the lakes have became a little more fun. Plus its 4k resolution which makes playback fricken awesome. Great for home movies of your ride...you can tag your ride and it will follow you...makes for some pretty cool perspectives.
pittpens24 likes this.

Army Vet
Car Enthusiast
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 06:06 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

I have an RC boat and truck and I have a small drone with a camera but with work and the Camaro they now sit.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
they are not welcome in this neck of the wood when invading others property. they are shot at or shot down depending I guess who does the shooting
I can see that happening around here too because if one was flying around my house and looking in the windows - it would be gone compliments of Sig Sauer, but my purpose is to have fun and not spying in peoples windows. It is really a shame when people can take a harmless toy and turn it into a major invasion of privacy.

572 BB - CM Engines
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I don't know John. In the racing drone field, you can switch out the motors for more powerful versions.......

572 BB - CM Engines
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I have a DJI Mavic Pro and just getting to learn how to use it but it's a blast. It takes 4K video and great snapshots. I am looking forward to learning better how to configure the camera and flying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimax3 View Post
I too have a Mavic Pro...its pretty sweet. Trips up north and out at the lakes have became a little more fun. Plus its 4k resolution which makes playback fricken awesome. Great for home movies of your ride...you can tag your ride and it will follow you...makes for some pretty cool perspectives.
I was looking at those and comparing to the phantom 4(even tho that thing is ugly is seems to take better vid) and then to the Walkera Rodeo 110 for the other end of the spectrum. My whole life has been about performance and heavy mods from my 1st mini-bike to dirt bikes, trikes, quads and hopefully being able to officially add my Camaro to the list this spring. I thought I might get bored with the Mavic or Phantom.

The only other thing that worries me is that if you lose your racing drone, you are out $200 as opposed to $1000 since you can still use the remote on another $200 drone.

572 BB - CM Engines
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcGc View Post
I have five RC Helicopters, and not the junk kind you buy at the mall or Walmart, four RC boats, and six RC trucks, but I recently broke down and bought a very nice drone. I love everything RC, but lately the money I would spend on helicopter parts, yes they crash, goes into my Camaro. Feels kind of weird....neglect one hobby for the other.
Question for you. I was into RC cars when Tamiya hit the scene with the Grasshopper, Hornet and Frog. Now that was ages ago and we would always test the length of how far we could go before we lost connection with the remote since if you went too far, it would just keep going until it hit something. What happens with helicopters? Is there a fail safe like a warning alarm or is it up to you to know your "boundries" in this new age. I was leaning more toward the racing drone and that is more like a RC copter or plane as opposed to the DJI models.

572 BB - CM Engines
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Helicopters are expensive and harder to learn to fly.

The drone I have has a return to home feature. If it loses range from the controller, it will fly home.

Since I just got it, the video is pretty basic and this is reduced resolution so I could put it on my iPhone but still pretty cool. As you can see, I only have one neighbor right now and he will want to play with it too, so no need to get out any of my defense mechanisms. I love living here.

First Flights

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1999 Camaro SS

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Helicopters are expensive and harder to learn to fly.

The drone I have has a return to home feature. If it loses range from the controller, it will fly home.

Since I just got it, the video is pretty basic and this is reduced resolution so I could put it on my iPhone but still pretty cool. As you can see, I only have one neighbor right now and he will want to play with it too, so no need to get out any of my defense mechanisms. I love living here.

First Flights
very cool vids
Happy_Dan likes this.

572 BB - CM Engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode