What welding helmet? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctcz28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

What welding helmet?

i got to try a welding helmet with the automatic glass for the first time this week. Wowzers. Gotta have it.
The one i tried was a Miller. Stopped in at my neighbors to see his. He had 3 setting around. One set up for air supply with 3M speedglass, a jackson with 3M speedglass, and a harbor freight rig. He said the 3M speedglass is the item. He has the hf one for the helmet mounted sensitivity control. What, where are the decent deals on these things?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 08:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: What welding helmet?

I don't know about the best deals or when, but when it came to vision protection while welding I was not even willing to try an inexpensive or discount helmet. I've got a Miller, not the top of the line or the bottom. Very happy with it. The helmet has multiple sensors to trigger the lens which is useful if you are welding in an area where one or more of the sensors could get blocked. Just got to be careful not to let the batteries go bad, did it once, won't make that mistake twice.
pittpens24 likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 05:20 AM
Team Member
Don

Can usually find good deals on eBay for Miller. Same for the batteries. Keep spares.

Miller also has some autodarkening welding goggles if you hate helmets.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 05:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

I agree with Chris. Get a good helmet and to add to the battery thing, get one that is also solar powered so if your battery dies, you are still protected. I personally have an older Speedglas XL helmet that has multiple sensors and is battery and solar powered. I used it everyday for 6 years and is still working as great 27 years later! Never had one issue with it.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 18, 05:36 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Caution:
I have a HF auto darkening hood. Went to use it last week and it would not darken. The batteries went flat after about 5 years and are not readily replaceable. I thought the solar power would still keep the lens working, but I was wrong.
If you get one, make sure you can replace the batteries easily or you'll be buying another one or at least a complete new lens. Other than that, the HF is an improvement over the standard lens, worked well, and is cheap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 18, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have had my harbor freight helmet for over 5 years now. No complaints. I think you got a dud.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

This is the one I have and it is reasonably priced.....

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81544/10002/-1
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Al

For the occasional user there is nothing wrong with a HF or other inexpensive helmet. Just be sure it is labeled/conforms to ANSI Z87.1 That standard is voluntary but I've never seen a helmet without the ANSI label. I test my helmet prior to each use. Just hold it up to a light to see if it darkens. I've owned my inexpensive helmet for 10+ yrs. and it's never failed.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I bought a Miller Performance Series Helmet. It was the middle of the road helmet at the time that I bought it. I like it. The solid black ones are cheaper than the colorful ones.

Back then, they had a comparison between the different lines of Miller helmets. This was the cheapest one that was recommended for spot welding. I don't know why the cheaper ones were not recommended for this type of welding. The type of welding done on car sheet metal is similar to spot welding. When you weld a seam of thin sheet metal, the weld is not one continuous weld instead it is spot welded.

Along with batteries, there are other consumables such as replacement plastic lens that go over the auto darkening LCD. I have replaced my inner helmet parts that hold the helmet to my head. You will be able to find these parts if you buy a name brand helmet.

P.S. I have a Lincoln welder. The Miller helmet works just fine with the other brand welder.

Patrick

Last edited by tp_smith; Aug 6th, 18 at 08:58 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Lotsa comments, thanks guys. I read a bunch of reviews. With some i get the feeling they are selling the same lens but changing the headgear ala miller. I am going to be tigging. I used to think i was all that with a tig a few decades ago with what was fred flintstone equipment, though miller, relatively speaking. My neighbor is going to lend me his spare miller inverter. I have to see if i can live up to my embellished memory. I gotta order something when i get off the road next week. Im in sandusky tonight and wont get to the roller coasters.... bummer.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 06:14 PM
Team Member
Don

More here:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthr...Welding+helmet

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 03:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

One other thing to add - With my ancient Speedglas, I was also able to change from shade 9-13 depending on what I was doing which helped a lot. It also had manual mode on it which allowed you to control at what point it auto-darkened(used this feature for grinding to keep it from darkening) Weigh out all your options before committing to something cheap.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode