What makes Toyota Tacoma trucks so reliable? - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

What makes Toyota Tacoma trucks so reliable?

Since its introduction more than a decade ago, the Toyota Tacoma had been a mainstay of the compact pickup segment. What makes it so popular is the variety of body styles to choose from, and the Prerunner stands out.

Tacoma keeps appearing on the list of longest-lasting vehicles. If you’re looking for a small truck with outstanding off-road abilities, the Tacoma is a good choice.

Whether it’s your daily commute or a trip to the great outdoors, the Toyota Tacoma can take you where you need to go and provide lots of space for your passengers and cargo. The interior is comfortable with enough room for four adults to sit comfortable for a long period of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 05:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: What makes Toyota Tacoma trucks so reliable?

Perception. It's a mass produced vehicle and they have problems just like every other mass produced vehicle. Remember all the frames that were rusting in half? There was actually a class action lawsuit over that one......but nobody remembers that stuff lol.
69Z28, HawkX66 and rp930 like this.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 07:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

What brand has the most vehicles on the road with over 300K on them? There will always be a Toyota in my driveway.
boyd66k20 likes this.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I had a friend who had a two wheel drive Tacoma with a 4 cylinder in it and he literally drove it for 24 years before he finally traded it in and it still ran.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 09:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

My 2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4 that I bought new now has 160,000 miles. V6 with 5-speed manual transmission. It's still running great and I intend to keep it for another 4 years before I consider a new one.

At 90k miles I upgraded the front disc brakes to the same era Tundra discs, calipers and pads. They are larger than stock Tacoma and it still stops really well. Camaro's aren't the only vehicles that can be upgraded.

The timing belt was replaced shortly thereafter. Virtually nothing else has been done other than oil changes, filter maintenance and once the plugs replaced. You know, the basic stuff.

One problem I have is at about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, when traveling at moderate speed without acceleration or deceleration I hear chirping under the truck. It stops if I accelerate of decelerate and seems to be in the driveshaft. It's a weird problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C49FD264-6251-4975-B9A0-E0915841565A.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	699.6 KB
ID:	229449  

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 04:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
...Remember all the frames that were rusting in half? There was actually a class action lawsuit over that one......but nobody remembers that stuff lol.
Actually that issue had nothing to do with reliability...

I bought a 1997 Tacoma brand new, then 12 years later it was recalled for frame corrosion issues. I took it to the dealer and after inspection they deemed it unsafe to drive. Toyota bought it back and gave me 2X the Blue Book Value plus a $2500. coupon towards purchase of a new one.

I don't believe any of the "Big 3" (GM, Ford, Chrysler) manufacturers would ever do that. They stand behind there products.

Lifelong Toyota fan here.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Well they still have not learned their lesson on under coatings the frames. They have an active voluntary recall on the 2010 and up for rear leaf spring mounts rusting out and punching a hole in the gas tank.

However I do agree that GM is only about the sale. How many have a 2007-2013 truck without a broken dash? GM doesn't care once the vehicle leaves the lot.

Will say Toyota had a dash crack issue too, but they are fixing the issue. No manufacturer is without problems , but Toyota does seem to have customer service after the sale.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 11:23 PM
Tech Team
Craig

Got a recall notice for my 2007 chevy silverado several years back finally called dealer to see if I was still eligible to get passenger side airbag replaced. They said yes and so I made appointment. The day of appointment service manager asked what I was there for. Told him for airbag recall.
He laughed and said to date gm has not come up with replacement fix for that and told me “see ya” and call gm if I didn’t like it. Called gm and they basically said same thing. Last chevy truck I will buy. Had same recall on my Subaru they fixed immediately.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 05:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

My 2003 Chevy Silverado has 330,000 miles on it. It's been a great work, haul, tow truck. I plan to keep it another 150,000 miles.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 05:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

GM has been arguing that the air bag inflater in the trucks is not designed the same as the others. I got the same recall years ago. They claim that the air bag recall was premature. The ones in my wife's Acura were fixed very fast makes you wonder.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
Got a recall notice for my 2007 chevy silverado several years back finally called dealer to see if I was still eligible to get passenger side airbag replaced. They said yes and so I made appointment. The day of appointment service manager asked what I was there for. Told him for airbag recall.
He laughed and said to date gm has not come up with replacement fix for that and told me “see ya” and call gm if I didn’t like it. Called gm and they basically said same thing. Last chevy truck I will buy. Had same recall on my Subaru they fixed immediately.

Same here. Willis Chevrolet Smyrna Delaware. I keep calling about that recall, always get the "we'll call you when we're ready". Been a few years now.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 711 69 B Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 05:21 PM
Team Member
Rob

I have my '69 Camaro and a '00 Corvette. But my daily drive is my 2002 V6 5 speed manual Tacoma SR5 TRD.
The thing has just about to turn 210,000 miles on it and runs about as good as the day I bought. About the only things I have had to change (a few times - and I hope I don't jinx myself) are the front breaks. Exhaust once or twice , tires and battery. That's about it. I really can't complain. Back breaks, clutch, Alt, starter, etc all original.

Oh yeah, it's my 3rd one. First had over 170K miles on it but the bed was rotting out - 1988 model. My second one had over 100K on it when some nut ended up totaling it out.

Would I by a 4th one? Yeah man.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	229491  

'72 SS Nova - Gone

'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 09:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

What makes Toyota Tacoma trucks so reliable? Its a Toyota. We've owned 4 and currently my daily driver is a Tacoma. All of them have been bullet proof. All of our vehicles are Toyotas (except my Z of course).

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
GARY

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Perception. It's a mass produced vehicle and they have problems just like every other mass produced vehicle. Remember all the frames that were rusting in half? There was actually a class action lawsuit over that one......but nobody remembers that stuff lol.
I guess I have to disagree. It is not just perception IMO, but reality. They are just better trucks. On my second one now (2012), with zero issues to date.

69 RS/SS 350 Lemans Blue
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 12:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

I have been trying to break them since the 70's!! This is a pre-factory 4WD with a jeep axle under the front.

Name:	SCAN0041.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	229541

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode