Kid's car needs a quarter - Team Camaro Tech
Non-Camaro Tech Problems and Issues with your daily driver or other non-Camaro vehicles.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By allanjs
  • 1 Post By RSSSfanatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Kid's car needs a quarter

Yeah, not a Camaro, so if I need to move this somewhere else, let me know. My daughter backed into a tree a few weeks ago, and crushed the quarter and door on her car. (2005 Accord) It's obviously totaled, and we are not going to file an insurance claim because we don't want rates to go up. Car is low mileage, was bought new by my dad, and is well maintained, so we want to keep it. Hanging a door is no big deal, but I am going to have to eventually weld a quarter on it to make it even close to right. For now I am going to hang a new door on it and put in a new back window and rig up a taillight to get her back on the road for the short term. I have a Hobart Handler 140 that I have used to put on a few patch quarters, so I am not averse to putting on a quarter for her. I know the proper fix would be to cut all the spot welds and go into the window channel and door jamb like the factory did, but let's face it, this is a teenager's 15 year old car that might likely get tagged again. Is there any reason that I couldn't seam it below the rear window glass and stay out of the jamb? I know it would not be optimal, but I'm not looking for perfection. I mainly want to get it looking respectable and get a proper taillight back in it.

Looking forward to ideas... Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191127_153251.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	231393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191127_153230.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	231395  

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Kid's car needs a quarter

Tom, Patch it however you want too. Who's to say it's right or wrong unless the structural integrity
is compromised. And it might be with a car of this design. I don't know. Insurance company might
raise hell if it was another accident. Even doing the work yourself you're gonna have a fair amount
of cash into it. I'd consider selling it as a parts car and pickup another for your daughter. I would
think you could find a $2-$3k school car. Good luck.
boyd66k20 likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 06:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

[QUOTE=RSSSfanatic;1783182257]Yeah, not a Camaro, so if I need to move this somewhere else, let me know. My daughter backed into a tree a few weeks ago, and crushed the quarter and door on her car.

Backed into a tree!!!! By the looks of the damage was she going 30 mph??? Also the white paint that got transferred to the car doesn't appear to have come from a tree.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 06:39 AM
Team Member
Don

[quote=Duneit;1783182333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
Yeah, not a Camaro, so if I need to move this somewhere else, let me know. My daughter backed into a tree a few weeks ago, and crushed the quarter and door on her car.

Backed into a tree!!!! By the looks of the damage was she going 30 mph??? Also the white paint that got transferred to the car doesn't appear to have come from a tree.
It was a white oak tree...

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 06:46 AM
Kevin

I would try banging that out, today's metals are so thin you would be surprised at how much you can get that qtr pushed back out. The lower crunch zone might need some more serious cutting and welding. But for zero $$ if it were me, I would give it a shot before buying anything.

My kids car got a piece of plywood dislodged by a truck in front of her and sliced the bumper cover. I riveted it together for $0 and she loved the Frankenstein look. But then she later re-ended a car and I had to replace the fenders and bumper cover anyways.

There will be more damage on this "trial driving" car. Just get the qtr pushed back out enough to mount the taillight and bumper cover and don't sweat the cosmetics, is my $.02.

Kevin

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good advice, Kevin. Yes, it was definitely a tree - I had to pull it out of the ditch that it was leaning against! She is actually quite lucky that the tree caught her. She forgot something and was trying to back up to a driveway to turn around. Narrow steep road in our neighborhood with no shoulder. She dropped a tire off the edge, hit some wet leaves, and started sliding. She is generally a pretty cautious driver - nothing like her mother! If that tree wasn't there, she would have likely rolled it down an embankment. And I have no idea what possessed her to try backing up instead of simply going forward to the next driveway. I guess that's the way the teen-age mind works.

I really don't think anything was compromised structurally. It really was a low speed collision. It doesn't take much to cause a lot of damage on these newer vehicles. Good thing is that all the doors open and close fine, and gaps are good, so unibody was not tweaked. A branch fell off the dead tree that she hit and broke out the rear window.

At least this will give me the excuse to get some new tools!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Tom, Patch it however you want too. Who's to say it's right or wrong unless the structural integrity
is compromised. And it might be with a car of this design. I don't know. Insurance company might
raise hell if it was another accident. Even doing the work yourself you're gonna have a fair amount
of cash into it. I'd consider selling it as a parts car and pickup another for your daughter. I would
think you could find a $2-$3k school car. Good luck.
Allan, that was my first thought. But just looking around, everything in that price range was 10+ year old and had at least 175K on it. I KNOW this car was maintained properly - I handled most of it for my dad, and he bought it new. It has about 80K on it now, and drives like a new one.
allanjs likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 03:02 PM
Apprentice

My caveat. I never have worked in a body shop so this isn't profession advice by any means. My wife wrecked a 89 Buick Century in the front fender. It got all the way into the front inner structure but left the suspension alone. I read somewhere to pull out the existing damage as best you can before welding anything back together. I chocked the wheels, chained it to a big tree and pulled it out with my pickup and a come-along.
I then cut out the inner structure, went to a wrecking yard and had them cut out the part I needed from another car. I welded it in, painted a new fender and away I went. Drove it without any problems for quite awhile and sold it for a few hundred dollars a couple of years later even with the wrecked title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode