Team Camaro Tech banner

Did any one ever hear of a 66 camaro?

51K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  3d cad 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Camaro. On the title is says a 66 Camaro. From what the chevrolet dealer in the area said, that it is one of the first 67's ever built. Since it was built in early 66 it was titled as a 66. I can't find out much from the main Chevrolet office either. When I did call there they did say that it was a 67 but there was no way to find out any more. Althought she did say that it was possible. A friend of mine said he did hear of a 66 1/2. I did not get my new registration card but the guy I bought it from said it is registered as a 66 1/2. If anyone ever heard of such a thing I would appreciate some info. Thanks Tam

P.S. I do have a 68 tic toc tach for sale. All original factory item if anyone is interested.

I recently got my registration and it said 66 Camaro not 66 1/2. thanks everyone for you help, but how can I tell from the numbers when in 66 the car was built.
[This message has been edited by Tams camaro (edited 05-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tams camaro (edited 05-12-2001).]

#28 ·
It went on the designing boards in 1965 in response to the success of the sheet metal hung on Ford's old Falcon platform renamed the Rustang (or something like that). But it didn't get into production until 1967 despite a lot of pressure from above to get a "pony car" in the sales rooms.

If GM 's top brass had looked at what a fella by the name of William Tyler Jenkins was doing in Super Stock with a 1966 Chevy II packing an L-79 327 they could have gotten some of the bugs out of the Camaro (and the new rushed into production 1968 Nova that shares about seventy percent of the Camaro's parts) before placing it in production.

Just my two cents worth on the subject. The first production Camaro was made in 1967, Chevrolet tested a fleet of over a hundred evaluation models in 1966 but they were all scrapped. If your state calls it a 1966 Camaro, there isn't much that any one else can do, it is a legal issue, but the rest of the world considers it to be a 1967 Camaro, despite what the title says.

Big Dave

#31 ·
Ooooh Brent....tickling the dragon are you? I will admit a little bias though. everybody knows real Camaro's have vent windows.......
More to the subject though, i had a 65 chevelle titled as a 72. Someone at the state entered the current year on a form and left it to confuse the masses. Unfortunately that car was crushed decades ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.