Think your good enough to answer this? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
99camaro

Think your good enough to answer this?

Well first off I'd like to say hello to everyone on here, as this is my very first post =)

Second this is regarding my 1999 Camaro Coupe. You see, this car is beyond reparable, or at least several GM dealerships seem to think so - for they see no problems with the car. HA! It is a nightmare, which is really sad. I really enjoy the car, aside from the deadly malfunctions it has.

So i'd like to list some of the problems just incase anyone has encountered these before, knows anything about it, etc...

1st. - i have over 50 service invoices regarding a rubbing/moaning/grinding from the rear right end when making right turns/ accelerating
dealer solution: replaced rear disc brake pad. several other unnecessary repairs to the brakes and trans axle were performed.
overall, no solution. problem continues. Records indicate that as of December 2000 this problem escalated to GM Engineers in order to "find a fix"

2nd - Report on volt meter almost going into the red. Idling slow or stopped. Happened more than once, all power inside car - instrumentation, lighting all dies down. Note: little is running within the car requiring electricity.
dealer: could not find fault
overall, obviously dealer has provided no solution, SUPRISE!

3rd - Report on engine surging-bucking on accelleration. Car jerks on normal accelleration. while driving, nothing has an affect on the accell. You can floor it, take your foot off the gas, absolutely nothing changes this except applying the brake. Obviously a deadly situation, if occured on the highway, not only could i be injured in an accident, but several others around as well.
Dealer: Could not fault this condition.
overall, dealer's computer cannot find anything wrong. After offering to drive around with a diagnostic computer attached to the car untill the problem reoccurs, the dealer advised me that they only have one computer and could not comply with this request.

i hope someone has an idea as to what is going on with this car. In addition, there have been many fuses blown, light bulbs burnt out, everything you can name has probably happened. I really think that the dealerships do not feel the need to spend time with this car. GM obviously knows how to treat its customers good, providing no assistance at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 10:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: Think your good enough to answer this?

Replace your battery ground cable.
They were found to be defective. Go larger then the 10ga. - that was originally provided
Don't know about the rear end.

My recommendation - buy a Toyota.
Maybe GM will finally care about their customers, when they are all gone.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
99camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecarjeff View Post

My recommendation - buy a Toyota.
maybe GM will finally care about their customers, when they are all gone.

haha, from what i heard the camry's are no better. alot of problems with the engine as well. Accelleration problems, almost like its hesitating. Looks like i'm left with nothing. And i still love the look of the camaro. (just not the problems)

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 10:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

The trick is to buy one that is actually made in Japan.
Or not, maybe those new Chinese cars will be reliable?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

1: posi... drain old oil, refiill with either synthetic gear lube or 90wt with 2 cans of GM posi lube.

2: main ground wire as Jeff suggested.

3: This car is "drive by wire" the throttle linkage is just a reostat attached to the gas pedal. check / reseat connections or replace it. This one should throw a code and turn on the SEC light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech

I was going to mention the posi fluid change.I don't think their is anything Jim doesn't know about cars.He amazes me with his knowledge on cars and this site is very lucky to have him.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech

i don't think any Camaro built ever had the "fly by wire" system.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
99camaro

So does my 1999 Camaro coupe(auto) have the "drive by wire" system, or not? And are you sure that this would cause the uncontrollable lurching of the car? And by lurching I mean imagine your in your car, on a regular road and u just floor it, then take your foot of the gas again, then floor it, take your foot off, etc... continuing until it decides to stop.

Thanks again for all your input! i appreciate it.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Fix your ground cable - report back.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
99camaro

I will, but right now my priority is on the lurching of the car. I would prefer to fix the major problem right now. At this moment i don't care about the ground cable as the problem does not happene every day. I will maybe later this week. Right now as i said, i'm interested in know more about the drive by wire system.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
i don't think any Camaro built ever had the "fly by wire" system.
I'm about 99.9 percent certain that ALL LS series engines are "drive by wire."

I know that the 98 corvette I had was, it was a year older and had the same engine

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv_3600 View Post
I will, but right now my priority is on the lurching of the car. I would prefer to fix the major problem right now. At this moment i don't care about the ground cable as the problem does not happene every day. I will maybe later this week. Right now as i said, i'm interested in know more about the drive by wire system.
In a modern computerized car, a problem delivering electricity is as serious as it gets, fix the darned ground. It could very well have something to do with the lurching.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
mike

if the car is drive by wire,(which i dont think it is) than a poor ground could contribute to the lurching thing...another thing, is the car actually accelerating, or dieing during this lurch???could be the ground is effecting the computer...ie:the computer goes dead for quick bursts,or sensors giving improper readings...sounds like the ground is much less money than what you`ve spent at the dealer so far...but jim could be absolutely right about the electronic throttle...i havent had the displeasure of messing with one of them...
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:50 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

4th gens (lt or ls equipped) are not "drive by wire". I think '97 - '04 ls1 vets were though...

I'm with the ground guys on this one...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
99camaro

Yes the car is actually accellerating. And also to mention I did take the car to a very reputable mechanic here in Toronto and he too did not find any problems. Although unlike GM dealers, he actually spent alot of time with the car attempting to the find the problem. He also experienced the lurching as well as his son. i really am not an expert on cars, but i still don't see why a ground cable would make a car accelerate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode