Car Wont shut off *Help* - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 67camaro02
Car Wont shut off *Help*

So heres the story, just did some work on my motor and inside, wired some stuff in. got my car back together and started it and it starts great but now when i shut it off, it just stays on. only way i can kill it is to turn my dist. even with the keys out it stays on. is there an online guide or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Car Wont shut off *Help*

could be the alternator is backfeeding the ignition...lol...i`ve done that before...1 or 3 wire alternator???if 1 wire, it wont do that i dont think as the alt only puts out voltage when "excited"...(needs to be spinning faster than idle)but if 3 wire, the field wire needs to be switched, or it makes power at idle and backfeeds the ignition
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

its a 1 wire alt. i think it has to do with adding some guages on the inside of my car, what color of wire should i not have spliced into? lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
mike

you have to be backfeeding the ignition circuit...with the key off, test the hot wire on the dist...if its hot with the key off, thats your problem...then with the test light still connected and visible, start disconnecting the things you added until you find the culprit...i`d think ammeter guage???
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Welp, i did find it weird thing was it was a cable connected to the battery ran all the way around the front of the radiator and down the drivers side and went straight into my ign. fuse box, used to be used for my stereo but i havent had a stereo in sometime. just disconnected it and pulled it all out and all is well know...thanks kustom!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro02 View Post
Welp, i did find it weird thing was it was a cable connected to the battery ran all the way around the front of the radiator and down the drivers side and went straight into my ign. fuse box, used to be used for my stereo but i havent had a stereo in sometime. just disconnected it and pulled it all out and all is well know...thanks kustom!
The wire you speak of is the power wire from the battery to feed the car. You disconnected it, this interrupted power from BAT terminal of the alt, and opened the circuit to the ign switch for ignition.

You should change over to 3-wire alt and changing harness is all that is needed.

Internal regulated alts, 72 & newer?, get sense voltage, Terminal #2, from ignition switch. So, later igniton switches have two switched IGN posts, one for HEI & the other for the alt. First gen's have a single post/terminal. Turn off sense voltage, turn off alt, car dies. You will have to add an accessory switched relay in the sense line to the alt.

Visit www.madelectrical.com and read up on 3-wire connection. I believe this will cure your run-on and provide a better charging voltage.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode