engine runs but that's about all i can say - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

engine runs but that's about all i can say

I have a 1986 camaro Z-28, it has the 305, and a four barrel carb. I bought a new carb(quadra jet) last june because the old one would drain the gas tank sittin still. car ran fine (driven very little) for awhile then overnite it started acting up. i ran the codes and got the map and baro sensors, i replaced them both with new parts and the thing still won't run!! well it runs if i keep my foot on the accelerator but it won't get over 2g on the tack!!! any ideas before i rip the guts out of it and make it non street legal?? i wanted to keep it stock for my oldest son(age 13) to drive when he is old enough, hence keeping it legal!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
george

Re: engine runs but that's about all i can say

Quote:
Originally Posted by based baller View Post
I have a 1986 camaro Z-28, it has the 305, and a four barrel carb. I bought a new carb(quadra jet) last june because the old one would drain the gas tank sittin still. car ran fine (driven very little) for awhile then overnite it started acting up. i ran the codes and got the map and baro sensors, i replaced them both with new parts and the thing still won't run!! well it runs if i keep my foot on the accelerator but it won't get over 2g on the tack!!! any ideas before i rip the guts out of it and make it non street legal?? i wanted to keep it stock for my oldest son(age 13) to drive when he is old enough, hence keeping it legal!!!
Drop the y-pipe at the manifolds to rule out a restricted exhaust.The previous carb issues may have plugged the cat converter.Make sure the choke unwinds completely and the air filter is clear.Gotta get air in and out to breathe properly.The map sensor is just responding to the poor manifold vacuum.Verify your timing also.A loose hold down clamp can cause the dist to move on cold starts with thick oil.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, i'll try the exhaust and timing and hopefully i'll get lucky and find a cheaper fix than replacing the power plant. it might very well be the cat after all it is 21 years old, and has about 110,000. thanks again!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
mike

hey, i had an 84 caddy that did this exact thing...the baro sensor and the map sensor look exactly the same...MAKE SURE you have the correct ones plugged into their respective plugs and hoses...one(the baro) i believe just has a hose vented to atmosphere...if you hook it up to vacuum, it will run rich as hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode