Gas Pedal Sticking.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Gas Pedal Sticking....

Just swapped in a 406 in the Camaro. I was running a 327 with an Edelbrock 1405 (I think), now running a Holley 4150 double pumper. I figured out where the piece on the threaded rod should be at WOT, but now my pedal pushes down and won't return. It feels like there is something restricting the pedal back to the correct height. I checked for plug wires/brake booster vac. lines in the way and couldn't see anything that would cause this to happen... I did notice a bolt that was a bit loose where the linkage by the firewall meets the rod for the gas pedal. I snugged it in, but no change... Any ideas???
Thanks-Dano

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 05:10 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Gas Pedal Sticking....

check for interference with the air cleaner housing.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

The air cleaner sits a ways above the throttle mechanism on the carb. I DID notice that the return spring is a bit wimpy though. When I disconnect the threaded rod from the firewall linkage piece the pedal is "floppy" (no resistance) As soon as I hook up the rod to the carb the pedal pushes down then won't come back up and it felels like it is being wedged somehow... I wouldn't think that a spring would have to have pounds of pressure to return a pedal?!
Dano

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

take it loose at the carb and grab the throttle(on the carb), does the throttle at the carb still stick? Are the butterflies the culprit, or is it the throttle rod pulling the throttle over-center?
just guessin' of course.....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Dan, thats a tough one to diagnose without seeing. I'd take the spring off and manually move it through its range of motion at the carb, check for any tightness or binding, then if you find nothing put the spring on and do it again. You may need the wife to push on the gas pedal as you watch things move, you just need to eyeball everything as it works.
I've seen the spring drag on the linkage of the carb at full throttle if its mounted too low at the stationary end (oposite of the linkage), that might do it, but you can bet it's somehow connected to the new carb unless the linkage at the firewall got bent during the engine swap.
You don't need crazy spring pressure, but it should be decent but not too heavy at the pedal for comfort, and a double spring for safety.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 07:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Dan check for the alignment between the carb and the arm on the fire wall. Holley equipped small block 1st gens (Z/28) got a bent throttle rod where a Quadrajet got a straighter rod.

Holley:

Quad:

and the typical one I see used that can really bind sometimes...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

You guys are great! Dennis, I have the infamous 'straight rod syndrome' lol
I will look into binding issues at the threaded rod. It sorta felt like binding or wedging at the pedal. Also, I need the throttle rod to have about 1/4"+ more threaded area to move the attaching do-hickey even further down... Thanks for the clues. I read some of your past postings on this and still couldn't find it, but the rod must be the culprit.... I'll post back what I find out on it..
Thanks-Dano

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

When i replaced my heater core the the cables rubed on the throttle cable/rod inside of the car. It's someplace to look.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Definately check that, but thats the rod I use with good results, so I guess you just never know.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Another thing to check is the plastic bushing that bolts to the firewall - the gas pedal rod passes through it. These are not that tough to break, esp when installing an engine. Shine a light down there and have a look. Mine broke last year. Kind of a pain to replace, but do-able with the motor in the car. You might also check to see if the pedal or rod is hanging up on the carpeting or somewhere else under the dash.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

check your motor mounts too!
a bad mount will make the linkage stick before it lets go and then youll have a stuck full throttle!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech

What about the small bolt that connects the throttle actuator to the rod. It goes through the part where the actuator is folded in two and the bolt clamps the actuator to the throttle pedal rod where it protrudes from the plastic bushing. If the bolt is installed upside down or something it may be interfering with the firwall or the bushing causing it to hang up.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Well, I tried to operate the pedal with different pieces of linkage disconnected and it seems like the pedal is fine with the threaded rod disconnected from the carb, but as soon as I attach it, the binding occurs. I am going to buy a bracket and cable system from Jegs or Summit and see if that helps. If NOT, then it's off to Pull a part and I'll grab a few different types of linkage rods and try those... Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it!
Dano

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Make sure the ends of the rod, the stubs going into the linkage and pedal are parallel to each other. You may have bend the rod to keep these ends parallel.

The return spring should pull back the throttle and the spring should be perpendicular to the throttle shaft. It should not be at an angle, as this would pull the throttle askew and the throttle plates would bind in the bores.

Good luck & happy hunting.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Found the problem!.... Looks like the pedal rod broke off where it meets the firewall linkage piece. I smell a new Lokar pedal and cable system in the near future for me.lol Thanks for all the help guys!!
Dano
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0011 (Small).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012 (Small).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2634  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode