Vibration problem, ruled out wheels and tires - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Bill

Vibration problem, ruled out wheels and tires

Hey all,

I have a 69Z I'm restoring. The car runs well, has the original muncie, and rear end. Currently when driving at speeds of 55+ the car begins to vibrate something fierce. I put the original rallies on with new tires and had them balanced. Could this be from the gear ratio and high RPM, or is it more likely from a possible unbalanced drive shaft? While removing interior I noticed dents and a puncture in the rear of the trans hump under the rear seat, looks like the drive shaft came off at one point.

Just trying to see if someone else has experienced this much vibration at this speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Vibration problem, ruled out wheels and tires

the vibration is not normal. Easiest test is to get it going fast enough to vibrate, then kick in the clutch and let the motor go to idle. Vibration don't stop, problem is behind the clutch.

MY tunnel has some "dents" and a puncture exactly where your is, and exactly as you described. It happened on the strip last fall, after borrowing a set of et streets and sidestepping the clutch at 3500. The resulted in the pinion yoke becoming several peices, and the rear u-joint making a sudden unauthorized exit from the car. None of the guilty peices were ever found.

Unless you did it and know it is fixed right, I'd be very suspicious of that driveshaft. I'm putting a new rear in my car today as I type this, and what's left of my driveshaft will NOT be joining it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Bill

Jim,

I read your page, I'm impressed with the history. I'm a rookie. Ok just for clarification, with the clutch pressed in the RPM'S drop becuase the engine power is not engaged with the tranmission. Technically the drive shaft is still turning though. So if the vibration is still there, more than likely it is the drive shaft?

Man I've got a lot to learn.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

what kinda clutch are you running? What RPM is the vibration? I ask because I had one at 3200 rpm and it was my clutch. I had a centerforce clutch and at about 3000 rpms the weights open up, I changed the clutch...no vibration.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 03:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander View Post
Jim,

I read your page, I'm impressed with the history. I'm a rookie. Ok just for clarification, with the clutch pressed in the RPM'S drop becuase the engine power is not engaged with the tranmission. Technically the drive shaft is still turning though. So if the vibration is still there, more than likely it is the drive shaft?

Man I've got a lot to learn.
right, push in the clutch, driveshaft, trans, and clutch disk are still turning fast, flywheel, pressure plate & mtor slow down.

Could also try it in neutral, clutch out, this would rule out the clutch disk.

The trans itself is most likely not the problem, tho if the rear mount is separated, that could be it. You could try to lever the trans off the crossmember with a prybar to see if the mount is separated.

I'd still lean toward the driveshaft. With the car securely on stands, you could have someone run it up to speed while you watch it, just be careful.

I really need top update my webpage, it's 2 years old, since then, engine rebuild and stroked to 383, tko 500, last summers run to the rockies, and now she's down for new rear end, some floor work, 4 wheel disks, and a new front suspension.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Bill

Ok. I'll try those ideas. Not sure about the type of clutch.

Last edited by alexander; Feb 18th, 07 at 04:37 PM. Reason: replied to wrong post
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

For what it's worth, I would say driveshaft. I had the same problem even after new tires. Had the driveshaft balanced, vibration gone. Good luck.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 07, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Same problem, driveshaft.

69 Camaro convertible 327, TH 350, fully restored, well almost.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 07, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Could also be the pilot shaft bushing allowing the clutch to be off center when engaged. If this is the case it can be felt sitting still with trans in netrual clutch out and engine reved to the same rpm as when the vibs start on the road. If it vibrates this way sitting still, then push clutch in put trans in gear which causes the clutch to stay in place and rev to the same rpm. If the vibs are gone then it sounds like the bushing. Just something else for you to check, good luck.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

http://csgbenefits.org/camarovibration.pdf

Try that .pdf document. It's all about tracking down vibrations. I've been fighting one in my car for a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure it's the driveshaft. I had car on chassis dyno and had guy underneath to look as I got it up to speed (about 80mph before mine kicks in).

Sometimes these can be elusive, so keep investigating. I don't think they gave all that much consideration to NVH (noise, vibration & harshness) back in the 60's, hehehhh

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode