service engine light on 02 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Harold

service engine light on 02 Camaro

I just bought a beautiful V6 with 41,000 miles on it. Looks and drives like a new car. About 2 days after I bought it the service engine light came on. I had it checked, they said the code shows a pressure leak somewhere in the fuel system. I had the smoke test done. They replaced the gas cap, dropped the rear axle and gas tank and replaced the solenoid on the top of the gas tank. 2 days later the service engine light came on again. All this cost me about $450. Does anyone have an idea? I'd like to solve this problem. I bought the car for my wife and she loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
george

Re: service engine light on 02 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Dean View Post
I just bought a beautiful V6 with 41,000 miles on it. Looks and drives like a new car. About 2 days after I bought it the service engine light came on. I had it checked, they said the code shows a pressure leak somewhere in the fuel system. I had the smoke test done. They replaced the gas cap, dropped the rear axle and gas tank and replaced the solenoid on the top of the gas tank. 2 days later the service engine light came on again. All this cost me about $450. Does anyone have an idea? I'd like to solve this problem. I bought the car for my wife and she loves it.
Three most likely causes that generate a p0440 evap leak are an actual leak in the evap system....a skewed pressure sensor or harness issues.The PCM would be my last guess right now,but not to be forgotten.I know of no solenoid in or on top of the gas tank.From your description,most likely the vapor pressure sensor was replaced.A better test is an evap flow test with purge and vent closed.This test either passes or fails and then onto the smoke.Any Chevy dealer can do this for you.My best guess based on your input is the evap vent valve in the lr 1/4 panel area not sealing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 04:44 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I was going to say start simple and check the gas cap. It's real common and just replacing it isn't always the fix. A lot of times it's the person taking it off and putting it back on when getting gas... Also once it throws the light it takes many key cycles before it goes away.

I know you had a lot of stuff done and a new cap installed so this may be for naught but ask the wife about when she filled up and when the light came on...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I was going to say start simple and check the gas cap. It's real common and just replacing it isn't always the fix. A lot of times it's the person taking it off and putting it back on when getting gas... Also once it throws the light it takes many key cycles before it goes away.

I know you had a lot of stuff done and a new cap installed so this may be for naught but ask the wife about when she filled up and when the light came on...
For $450 you would think the tech at least cleared the codes before returning the vehicle to his customer.I can not imagine that not being done..seeing how freeze frame data and pass/fails are valuable parameters.My best guess is the dtc was cleared and reset when the PCM ran its evap test and flagged it failed once again...But you never know,good point.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 06:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I got the impression the codes were cleared and it had no cel when they got the car back.. Then a couple days later the light came back on. From that I'm suggesting seeing when the wife filled up to see if it all isn't boiling down to her not twisting the cap on all the way or some other silly thing before more money is spent at the mechanic...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
mike

if you fill up with the car running, it`ll call a code too...ask her if she`s doing that, as in new england, you see this alot...

sometimes you`re the windshield and sometimes you`re the bug...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Harold

Thanks for all the replies. It turns out that it had several problems. The last one to throw the code was an oxygen sensor. Since we replaced that the service engine light has stayed off.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 07, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Harold

O.k. The problem was not fixed. The last code said that the catalytic converter wasn't getting enough air flow. So, the folks we bought it from replaced it last Sat. Now, again, the service engine light came on today. I've checked with the wife about the gas cap. She says she already new that she had to turn it 3 clicks and that the light doesn't come on anytime around when she fills up.

The car had an aftermarket exhaust system on it. Could that be causing the problem? The car seems to be running perfectly. I guess we'll take it in again and see what code it throws this time. If you guys have any ideas I sure would appreciate them. Up until now the warranty has covered everything but it is running out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 07, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Dean View Post
O.k. The problem was not fixed. The last code said that the catalytic converter wasn't getting enough air flow. So, the folks we bought it from replaced it last Sat. Now, again, the service engine light came on today. I've checked with the wife about the gas cap. She says she already new that she had to turn it 3 clicks and that the light doesn't come on anytime around when she fills up.

The car had an aftermarket exhaust system on it. Could that be causing the problem? The car seems to be running perfectly. I guess we'll take it in again and see what code it throws this time. If you guys have any ideas I sure would appreciate them. Up until now the warranty has covered everything but it is running out.
Most cats that fail have the pcm flagging a p0420.Cat effiency below threshold.I am not familiar with the (wasn't getting enough air flow) description.I hate to say it,but can you pull the most recent DTC and post it.It may not be related.We really need to know the most current fail to assist you.A post 02 sensor monitors the cat effiency...does your aftermarket exhaust have the sensor installed and is this a knock off cat that is being used?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 07, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
mike

fatblock has a good point...most obd2 systems need a cat that has specific flow characteristics to make the o2 sensor work properly...a cat that is too "cold" will make the o2 sensor read funny...this is usually solved when the o2 sensor has a heater, but might be worth a look...

sometimes you`re the windshield and sometimes you`re the bug...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode