Exhaust/oxygen sensor(s) etc. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Tamera

Unhappy Exhaust/oxygen sensor(s) etc.

I am sorry if this isn't in the correct thread.
I have 2 oxygen sensors bad in my '97 30th edition V6 Camaro..I had it hooked up..it read bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 random multiple Misfires. Plus my car is loud like the muffler/exhaust is bad muffler still attached..the car shakes etc. also worried about tires or something that makes my car sway wobble,this was b4 the loudness i am guessing from the sensors. My Ex drove this car and done some bad things to it. I have to get my car back to its great state as before. I was told to take one thing at a time buy sensor 1 and go from there.. Any advice from what I have typed? Is it fixable..very bad problems I have on my hands.? Thank you for any opinions etc.
Sincerely,
Tamera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 10:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: Exhaust/oxygen sensor(s) etc.

I would look for the "misfire" problem(s) first, the lack of correct firing in random cylinders will cause problem with the sensors downstream in the system.
It could be something as simple as a few bad plugs, plug wires or the coil pack fo those cyclinders - you are going to have to test and explore some of them to see where the problem started.
I would start by 'reading' the plugs in each cylinder to see if you can tell which ones are misfiring - they should be noticably different in appearance to the ones working correctly.
Next check the plug wires for correct resistance per the specifications for them - replace any that read incorrectly.
Last check or replace the coil-pack for the bad cylinders.
Reset the ECU/ECM and drive the vehicle for a period to see what codes it sets after your repairs.
It may take some time for the O2 sensors to clear themselves of surface contamination if present and the codes to stop popping up* - Or - they may not clean up and one or more will then need to be replaced.

The rich mixtures may have lead to back-firing in the exhaust system and damaged them over time.
A poorly running engine will also produce more noise out of the tailpipe, due to the system not getting the normal sound pulse order it is designed to dampen.
It may be necessary to replace a part or two to quiet it back down, but I would fix the other stuff and then see how it sounds.

A common shop practice would be to just replace everything and send you on your way - not the most cost efficent process, but may be the most time efficent one ...

Hope this helps;
John

* this is a good time to decide how serious you are about doing the repairs on your car in the future and bite-the-bullet to purchase you own Diagnostic tool so you can pull the codes yourself if you don't already have one - it could save you way more than it's cost in the long run (and you might just also become a big hit with your friends )

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Tamera

Re: Exhaust/oxygen sensor(s) etc.

Yes..That seems very logical and helpful. Thank you for your advice. I'll try and get this done,step by step..and hope it works out. I love my car and miss it being in good condition. One thing you said makes me think tho'...the sensors going bad 1 by 1..I believe this is the case..oh no...I gues all I can do is try. Thanks again.
Tamera

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
mike

bank 1 is the drivers side...sensor 1 is before the cat and sensor 2 is after...the sensor 2 tells the computer if the catalyst biscuit is working properly in the cat...if you have random misfires, than i would think they would be on the drivers side...start with a tune up...at the very least, a set of plugs...if the car still misses(shakes), look for a bad coilpack...common problem for these...once you get the excess fuel out of the tailpipe emmissions, the o2 sensors will probably read correctly again...hope this helps...

sometimes you`re the windshield and sometimes you`re the bug...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Tamera

hello..and thanks for replying.
A year or so ago I bought new plugs and wires *boocsh* i think the brand was..and he put them in..I don't know if he put them on correctly..never know..But Is this car fixable? I am sooo worried that my baby is dead. I have to go to car shop to have this done because I do not know how to fix it I wish my father and brother were alive because they both knew everything about cars..so I should get a full tune up ok,before my car had gooten in its currnet state..a full tune up to me was oil/ change oil and filter..gas fill up uhmmm fuel injection/ check guages/check tires etc. I'm new at doing this w/out my father..so what exactly is aFull Tune-Up? I wanna do that,plus should I go ahead and buy the sensors? I know I will have to take it to the shop,but knowing a bit about this all is a great help to me..so maybe I don't get over charged or atleast I'll have a good idea of what they are exactly telling me. but this car should be fixable correct? I just hope it isn't JUNK now..The car was fine till "HE" done his damage(long story) but I just want to get it fixed. Thanks all for helping me..really. I need any info. from you guys. I am VERY grateful for this advice.
Sincerely,
Tamera
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 08:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Exhaust/oxygen sensor(s) etc.

Tamera:

We, can usually talk anyone with some mechanical experience through the repair of a newer computer controlled system - IF - we know the Code(s) that are set, the problem discription of the vehicle and what has been done to it.
Don't get overwelmed by the issues, take one thing at a time with the repairs and I think we can do the same for you.

Hope this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
mike

ANY car is fixable...all you need is money...the amount you are willing to spend is the deciding factor on if the car is fixable...first, you need to get rid of the skip...i`d start by having your local wrench do plugs and wires, and diagnose the coil packs...the skip could be a bad plug, bad wire, or coil pack, but the plugs and wires are cheap insurance, where changing all the coilpacks is more of a waste of money...doing a fuel filter is also a good idea, as tons of drivability issues can be attributed to the filter...again, cheap insurance...once your tech has the car not skipping(running smoothly, not rough), then drive it for a while, and see if the ses light goes out...these sensors(o2) for your car (not universal) will run in excess of 90 bucks, so i`d not buy them first...you usually cant return electronic items if not needed...try these and post back to us with the outcome...do only these things first, because your tech might try to sell you a bridge...(say you need a ton of stuff you really dont)if you do this step by step, we can help you AND save you money...you`ll learn about your car too!!!

sometimes you`re the windshield and sometimes you`re the bug...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode